Steel 120 with small neck threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leo53214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys-

I just bought a used steel 120 in great shape, EXCEPT (of course there's an except!) the valve knob just spun completely around. Turns out the previous owner must have broke the handle, then drilled it out and shoved a screw in it. It is a Genysis DIN valve and though I might be able to fix it- I'd much rather just replace it for safety.

Here's the catch- the tank has a seat at the neck and the threads are smaller diameter than a standard valve. I was thinking maybe an old 1/2", but did they have Genysis DIN valves in that "era"? The really frustrating thing is that I just switched everything over to DIN H-Valves and now I don't know what to do with this tank if it can't follow suit. :confused: Any suggestions?

You can easily buy a rebuild kit and in less than a few minutes rebuild it for about $12. It is probably a 7/8" neck.

you can buy new thermo 7/8" valves off of ebay for ~$60 that will accept an H. I'm guessing that the current valve is one of those stupid genesis angled valves in which case you should go ahead and replace it because the rebuild kits are harder to come by.

I have a similar problem. It sounds like you have the 7/8 UNF type tank instead of the 3/4 NPSM type. For some reason 3/4 is bigger than 7/8. Go figure. I have a tank that has the same Neck threads and I wanted to replace the valve, but apparently they only make 300 bar din valves with the 7/8 threaded neck. I don't know if they still make a valve that you can configure as a H valve.

Here is a link to the Thermo website:
Stand Alone Valves
The one that you want is the 5284

And here is a link about the Thermo modular valves with the 7/8 neck threads:
8082 Series
Apparently this valve has been discontinued.

[hint] if you click on the link in my first post it takes you to an auction for a thermo 7/8 - 14 UNF modular valve [/hint]

Thanks everyone! There is hope! It is so much easier to find something when you know what you're looking for! Machand's suggestion on the E-bay valve sounds great, but will I run into a problem finding the other half of the modular valve (aka: is it also a different size?)

9020RH

Type: Modular "H" Connector Attachment
Connection: Connects to any Thermo Right Hand Modular Valve
Outlet: PRO Type Outlet
9020 Series

this one is the one you want from the same seller mentioned earlier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom