Steel 120 - fat or tall..opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see that as a very compelling reason. I don't know about you, but every time I change a tank, I release the buckle, then pull out an inch or two of slack so that everything comes apart easily. At that point it makes no difference if the next tank is a little bigger or smaller than the last.

I've used 6.9", 7.25" and 8" tanks with the same BC many times. The only time it really didn't work well was with 8" straps on a 6.9" tank. I did over 100 dives with 119's and my Zeagle Ranger. Those straps seem to be better suited to 6.9 or 7.25" tanks, but they were more than adequate with my 8" 119's. When I switched to a BPW, I ordered 8" straps to go with it, only to find that while they fit my 119's like a glove, they were pretty darn sloppy on my 72's. Because of the way the velcro was attached I couldn't cinch them down as tight as I would have liked.

If you prefer the 120's though, then you should get what you want.

per your 2nd statement not me-I HATE IT when I have to readjust the cam belts....but that may me just me------------

I ended up swapping out for the HP120. My wife was fine with it.

I've got the LP 121 , its Fat AND Tall... my buddys got an HP 130 thats just as fat tho' a few inches shorter, However he often doesnt get the full 3600 (or is it 3400?) psi fill whereas I'm much more likely to get my full 2600 (2640), and I especially like the bonus air when I get those 2700-2900 psi fills :)

Its a big boy, but so am I so its quite manageable, and at the height of the summer I can dive a 3mil shorty and have no ditchable wt as the tank is plenty heavy enough.

Took the HP120 out for 4 boat dives at Anacapa Island and had no trim issues. Looks like I'll be keeping this tank.

I have LP 120's 8" and tall filled to 3000 they give about 140 can do 2 dives off one tank they are great. sometimes wish they werent so big, but they I rent an al 80 and remember why i got bigger tanks.

I have noticed an interesting anomaly in the Worthington specifications. The metric table indicates there the internal floodable volume is 15.3 Liters for the X7-120 and 12.2 Liters for the X7-100. This calculates to an extractable volume of 126.55 Ft³ and 100.91 Ft³ respectively. Extractable volume is the gas that can be added above sea level.

Ref: http://www.xsscuba.com/downloads/steel_cylinder_specs_all.pdf

15.3 Liters = .5403 Ft³ x (3442 PSI/14.695948775 PSI) = 126.55 Ft³ vs 120.6 Ft³ listed "true capacity"
12.2 Liters = .4308 Ft³ x (3442 PSI/14.695948775 PSI) = 100.91 Ft³ vs 99.5 Ft³ listed "true capacity"

If the floodable volume listed is correct, that also makes the tank the lightest of the group on a Lb/Ft³ basis at .300 versus .327.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom