Steel 120 - fat or tall..opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For this one reason, get the 120..........

Unless anyone has a convincing argument, I'm going to exchange the 119 for a 120. I'm 6'1" so the extra 4 inches shouldn't be an issue.[/QUOTE]

I'm 5'10" & love a 120......

I don't see that as a very compelling reason. I don't know about you, but every time I change a tank, I release the buckle, then pull out an inch or two of slack so that everything comes apart easily. At that point it makes no difference if the next tank is a little bigger or smaller than the last.

I've used 6.9", 7.25" and 8" tanks with the same BC many times. The only time it really didn't work well was with 8" straps on a 6.9" tank. I did over 100 dives with 119's and my Zeagle Ranger. Those straps seem to be better suited to 6.9 or 7.25" tanks, but they were more than adequate with my 8" 119's. When I switched to a BPW, I ordered 8" straps to go with it, only to find that while they fit my 119's like a glove, they were pretty darn sloppy on my 72's. Because of the way the velcro was attached I couldn't cinch them down as tight as I would have liked.

If you prefer the 120's though, then you should get what you want.

I would say go dive with HP119 and HP120 and decide how they trim for you and pick one that feels better.

I'm 5'8" and dive the X-7 119's and though some think it's too long for me, I like it just fine.
If I were offered a trade for shorter cylinders.....I'd consider it if the bouyancy characteristics were the same.

I'm 5'8" and dive the X-7 119's and though some think it's too long for me, I like it just fine.
If I were offered a trade for shorter cylinders.....I'd consider it if the bouyancy characteristics were the same.

119s are X8 and 120 are X7.

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

HP119 swing 0.1lb less than HP120.

If an X7-100 trims fine for you, I'd stay with the X7-119. As noted in a previous post, the difference in diameter is not important but the difference in trim from the longer X7-120 could be.

Besdies, your wife bought it for you. Consider yourself lucky, stop being a **** and just accept it as the great gift it is.

The only time I can think of that adjusting the cam bands for different tanks is a PITA is with the scubapro style cambands, which I got talked into buying. They are pretty nice, I have to say, but adjusting the length for different diameter tanks is good for about 10 extra minutes of fussing between dives.

The original ones had two notches, one worked great for 6.9" tanks and the other worked great for 7.25" tanks. If I recall the current crop have only 1 notch and came along about the time Scubapro started selling Faber 95's as well (an 8" diamter tank).

It can be a PITA, but it's easy to mark the correct location on the strap for each tank diameter to make adjusting between tanks quick and easy.

Besdies, your wife bought it for you. Consider yourself lucky, stop being a **** and just accept it as the great gift it is.

:spit: HERE HERE!!

I dive the 120 and love it but cannot comment on the 119 so my opinion is clearly biased. I can say that I am 6'2" and the 120 was super easy to trim out for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom