Staying In Playa Del Carmen... Can We Dive with Cozumel Charters???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacs

Registered
Reaction score
Trip with the whole famn damily planned in Aug. Only 2 of us are divers in the group so we got the short straw and are staying in Playa instead of Cozumel. Staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach Hotel.

I've read great posts about the diving in Cozumel and the great dive ops there. I was really interested with Dive with Martin from the reviews I've read on the posts. Plus I understand he picks up at local hotels.

So my question is can a cozumel dive op pick up from Playa or from the ferry pier if we ride over each morning??

Also can anyone tell me if I should try to also dive around Playa (if so any dive op suggestions are greatly appreciated) or just concentrate my dive time in Cozumel?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
:07:

How long are you staying for?

It's easy enough to take the ferry over and have the op in Cozumel meet you at the ferry terminal. There are many companies that will arrange to get you to Cozumel - such as Dressel Divers at your Hotel, but they will charge you a transportation fee of up to $60.00 per person. You can do it on your own for for around 24.00 per person, that's 18.00 for the ferry return and a shared cab ride of 6.00 each way.

Don't discount the diving in Playa, there is at least a couple of great days of diving to be had for you locally plus you should look into doing a day of cenote dives. So if you are only staying for a week, I would do 2 days in Coz, 3 days in Playa and a day of cenote dives. Well actually if it was me, I would do 6 days of cenote dives, burn my return ticket and then continue to dive the cenotes for the rest of my life while my wife and daughter get use to the sun and work thier way into the relaxing mexican lifestyle :wink:

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
How long are you staying for?

It's easy enough to take the ferry over and have the op in Cozumel meet you at the ferry terminal. There are many companies that will arrange to get you to Cozumel - such as Dressel Divers at your Hotel, but they will charge you a transportation fee of up to $60.00 per person. You can do it on your own for for around 24.00 per person, that's 18.00 for the ferry return and a shared cab ride of 6.00 each way.

Don't discount the diving in Playa, there is at least a couple of great days of diving to be had for you locally plus you should look into doing a day of cenote dives. So if you are only staying for a week, I would do 2 days in Coz, 3 days in Playa and a day of cenote dives. Well actually if it was me, I would do 6 days of cenote dives, burn my return ticket and then continue to dive the cenotes for the rest of my life while my wife and daughter get use to the sun and work thier way into the relaxing mexican lifestyle :wink:

Dennis

Dennis thanks so much for all of the info! After reading your post I'm ready to burn my return ticket now!

We're only there for 7 days. I wanted to make sure we maximized our dive time and with such a fantastic destination for diving I didn't want us to miss anything! I'm also not in to throwing money away so your trasportation tips are greatly appreciated!

If I may trouble you again: Who would you suggest we dive with in PDC? Also do you know of Dive with Martin on Coz?

We'll be in PDC Aug 13-20 and love to buy you all a drink for all of help!
Thanks Again!
:dazzler1:

A friend of mine commuted from the Iberostar to Coz a couple of weeks ago.... $ 10 to get to ferry,$11 ferry ride and $5 to Caleta.
Just double this for the round trip.

Another freind who stayed in Playa(I don't now the resort) Reported the same but.... He did DIVE WITH Dennis and this was the most enjoyable part of his vacation !

Quite frankly,I'm personnaly considering diving with Dennis next year and I have been strictly Coz.

Ron

Pez de Diablo:
Well actually if it was me, I would do 6 days of cenote dives, burn my return ticket and then continue to dive the cenotes for the rest of my life while my wife and daughter get use to the sun and work thier way into the relaxing mexican lifestyle :wink:

Dennis
Where do I sign:06:

Dennis is correct. DON'T discount the diving in PDC. My favorite is the Tortugas, Lots of turtles. At that site depending on the time of year you may also encounter schools of tarpin or jacks. Beware of one thing. PDC faces east and can have rather rough surf, sometimes closing the port and not allowing the dive boats to go out. Also on most "good" days the entry into the boats can be challenging since the surf is bouncing the boat. Diving in Coz is moslly on the leeward side of the island and thus much calmer. In December the Ferry, roundtrip was $17. Beware there as well. There are two different companies running on two different schedules. Get it straight from the get go or you may be sitting for a couple hours waiting for the return. I'd suggest buying a one way each way then you can return on the next available boat.

Don't be to quick to overlook the diving from PDC. Lots of turtles, cudas and eels. The current can be strong on Tortuga reef, but very manageable. Take the advice from fellow SB'ers and outfit yourself with a SMB, whistle, mirror/cd, strob or light. I dove with Gonzo from Phantom Divers, great DM. They have a website that you can checkout-www.phantomdivers.com. Enjoy, I will be down there in a couple of weeks.:14:

Back
Top Bottom