STAY SAFE—NO MOPEDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Referring to those of us who advise against renting scooter by inexperienced tourists as Nazis is offensive in the extreme.
I suspect that the term "nazi" may be used to describe one who is adamant about an issue.

Dave Dillehay
Still alive

Referring to those of us who advise against renting scooter by inexperienced tourists as Nazis is offensive in the extreme.
I never referred to anyone on this thread as being a Nazi. I was referring to Safety Nazi's in general. If I offended any Nazi's, then that's just the way it goes.

Stay home in the closet and wear a helmet and a bubble suit all day and night.... And whatever you do don't ever go deep on air as you will almost surely be "under the influence" of nitrogen and may cause risk to others who may need to rescue you.

On the issue of scooters...... I agree that they can be very dangerous....but so is a lot of stuff..

Almost as dangerous as posing with a man eating wolf eel!
The wolf eel reminds me of some older people on scubaboard...but more friendly.
OLD Guy.jpg

Stay home in the closet and wear a helmet and a bubble suit all day and night.... And whatever you do don't ever go deep on air as you will almost surely be "under the influence" of nitrogen and may cause risk to others who may need to rescue you.

On the issue of scooters...... I agree that they can be very dangerous....but so is a lot of stuff..
I'm guessing there is a whole spectrum of risk tolerance, and there are plenty of things that you would judge too risky. Your remark about deep air diving is spot on as an example of how we all fall somewhere on the risk tolerance spectrum, judging from all the threads debating the risks of that. We can all have our own risk tolerance levels, and even attempt to give each other well-meaning advice, but there is no need for any of us to give our opinion of others' risk tolerance. Dave has seen scooter accidents and gave us his advice, that's all.

Many times in Thailand, Vietnam or Greece, I've seen people having to stay-in at hostels due to injuries from scooter accidents. The worse was someone bandaged up on the face, arms and legs and spending their vacation time replacing bandages. Along with that, a few people worried about getting their passports back due to not being able to pay for damages. The common cause was inexperience on scooters and added to that, inexperience on sandy roads. One couple never left the parking lot. They hit the throttle, lost balance, fell over and the scooter landed on the knee-high concrete wall, scratching and denting the scooter.

I never referred to anyone on this thread as being a Nazi. I was referring to Safety Nazi's in general. If I offended any Nazi's, then that's just the way it goes.

We "safety Nazis" do not impose our will on anyone; we just offer advice. You are, of course, free to take it or leave it.

Scooter crashes are a very frequent occurrence on Cozumel, and most of them involve inexperienced two wheeler driver tourists, many of whom are drinking and driving too fast. I know; I used to be one of them until we had to take my brother to the emergency room to get sewn up after he launched a scooter into a ditch when he hit a patch of sand in a turn. Luckily, his injuries were relatively minor. My dentist was not so lucky; he was killed. The son of a friend of ours was also not so lucky; he will carry the result of his scooter crash for the rest of his life.

Get rid of CVT scooters and you'll cut the accidents way down. Most of the jokers and squids with no riding experience will balk at the thought of learning a hand clutch and shifting with their foot.

Get rid of CVT scooters and you'll cut the accidents way down. Most of the jokers and squids with no riding experience will balk at the thought of learning a hand clutch and shifting with their foot.
Twist and go is fantastic! Though I ride 6-8k miles a year on an Xmax 300 so nothing inexperienced here. Wet, cold, sandy, whatever... I prefer 70° and light overcast but have ridden everything from 25° and dark to 105° and blistering sun in WA. They need to require a motorcycle endorsement for these 2 wheel death machines, not change their physical characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom