Stay Local... Is there a good reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look back in the threads youll find that the online versus LDS has been beaten into the ground too. LOL to the point most veterans of the board say oh lord here we go again. But Ill repeat my phrase that sums it all up. How many LDS shops do you see complaining that you wont buy from them as a slightly higher price do you see shopping at walmart because its cheaper then the other in town grocery store?

Good luck!

k...,

Figured so - I knew I couldn't be the only one with this dilema. If you think about it though... what else are newbies going to blog about? =-) I think a better thread might be why LDS can't get a decent website going. My friend set up a website where you could shop, review, blog, get access to class materials, and have class specific threads going on - and it looked pretty good for only taking a day or two to set up. He sells classes to the likes of Cisco for internal training, and to huge businesses and government agencies - recently installing the DC court system video on demand over IP solution. He's a tad on the geeky side but he set it all up mostly pre built things... credit through costco for purchasing and purchasing through paypal in addition... and analytics and email through google for free (business gmail) None of which is not aparent from viewing the site since it is in the person@hiswebsite.com email format.... and he was telling me that he normally just had a company from india set up his sites. He also told me he did it on a shoe string budget with the only costs being the webhosting, domain registration, and account setup costs for credit)

I can imagine that most shop owners are enthusiasts who just decided to do what they love - and my not be the most technical. I hate the thought of web designers running them through the ringer. If someone would take a bold step and lead the way with a decent website and compare sales - I would imagine even if they had to pay someone who raked them over the coals for setting it up - they'd still make money on all the opportunities they are losing from not having a web store front.

Any shop owners out there with a decent site? Post it up - I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
I can imagine that most shop owners are enthusiasts who just decided to do what they love - and my not be the most technical. I hate the thought of web designers running them through the ringer. If someone would take a bold step and lead the way with a decent website and compare sales - I would imagine even if they had to pay someone who raked them over the coals for setting it up - they'd still make money on all the opportunities they are losing from not having a web store front.
The difference from selling intellectual goods like classes and actual goods, like fins and snorkels is that you need to keep inventory. And most LDS shops in my experience has problems just knowing what they got in the shop while being present in the shop. And then imagine them not particual tech savvy, trying to keep their website updated with what they got in.

It is quite frustrating for the customer to buy something online, and then get a message that they are out of stock and that there is a 4-8 week restock time.

So I completly understand the LDS shops reluctance going web, but im as surprised as you that they atleast don't try. Especially when it comes to classes and charters which is not something you really need to keep inventory of.
And ofcourse list the usual prices such as gas fills, service etc.

I heard Leisure Pro buys up all the equipment from struggling Local Dive Shops for next to nothing to bail them out and then wholesales them. Is that true?

Nope. They are a major player in the scuba retail game and the manufacturers know it. If they wanted to stop leisure pro from selling their goods it would be easy. The fact is, they know how Leisurepro gets their brand new stock from them and don't want to stop them. They are probably their biggest customer. They are not authorized dealers on some brands but the manufacturer doesn't have a problem with that, the authorized dealers, that are held to a different standard, do have a problem with it.

So I completly understand the LDS shops reluctance going web, but im as surprised as you that they atleast don't try. Especially when it comes to classes and charters which is not something you really need to keep inventory of.

I couldn't agree more! I know there are variables such as chartering the boat but man I can't tell you how many times I've looked at advertisements for Palau or some other place on this forum and would make an impulse buy to do a dive here in hawaii. I wouldn't care if the charter gets rescheduled due to bad weather... that's the nature of the game.... of course then I would probably not post as much out of boredom at work since I would be planning my next dive instead of being on scubaboard...hmmm... (I'm only kidding... =-) I know I'd still be on scubaboard)

I'm not sure what other's are thinking, but I'm not sure I'd really want to dive on a boat locally that took online reservations as a major part of their reservation system. It'd be like going on a boat with 100% cruise ship customers. I've talked with crews that worked boats that got a significant percentage of their passengers from either cruise ships or non-diving consierges at the hotels... a new "adventure" every charter. Online reservations for classes probably would be a good idea as long is it was made clear that the operator would need to talk with the customer well ahead of time.

My guess is if I offered online reservations for both a "2 tank recreational day dive" and a "120 foot dive" on my website, the reservations for the "120 foot dive" would probably be off the charts, and the majority of those people wouldn't really be divers I'd want to take on a deep dive the first time I ever met them. The screening process starts over the phone for most operators by my guess.

....At this point I'm more building out my gear and finding what works for me but a constant problem I find is the whole support the local dive shop vs. half price on the internet. I think I want to build a great relationship with my lds but sometimes feel it is a bit of highway robbery. I buy the books/vids from them for certification just because I want to be fair - but with gear I'm not sure what to do....

Hi Uzbeckin,

Just looking at this one part of your post, from a "local", long-time diver perspective:

1.) Cultivating a good relationship with an LDS you like and who helps you and treats you fairly is important. I have no problem being loyal to a shop like that. However, your loyalty should only go so far. With the experiences you related about "valued customer" pricing, I'd be a bit put off. They need to make a profit to stay in business, but I hate feeling like "games" are being played with the prices. You have a right to expect good service and fair treatment.

2.) Most divers intitially buy gear they don't really need, simply because they don't know what they REALLY need. Ask lots of questions, try (rent, borrow) as much as possible, then make an "informed" purchase. Try to look past the sales hype.

3.) Good used gear is often a better value in many cases than new gear. New scuba gear loses much of its resale value after the first dive, yet will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

4.) Look for gear that has been on the market for awhile. With regulators, this is often the models in the mid-range of their lineup. The latest, greatest, high-end regulator is often just different cosmetically from the model it replaces. There are very FEW true innovations in scuba gear.... mostly just refinements on designs that were actually near-perfect when introduced 20-30 years ago; and in some cases the "old" gear is actually better.

5.) I've been diving in Hawaii since 1976. My first gear purchases were in the LDS... no internet back then. Now there is competetion, and it is a GOOD thing.

6.) When I returned to diving after a long "break" to raise a family, I purchased all of my regs, BC's, fins, wetsuits online.... including ebay. I knew most of what I wanted, but even then made some "mistakes" (I bought jacket BC's, but discovered that I prefer BP/W style BC's since they are similar to the simple rigs I learned to dive with).

7.) Finally, I learned how to service my own equipment. If you have any interest in learning to service your own gear (and I recommend all divers learn as much as they can about their gear), then I'd look at regulator brands that allow their customers to buy parts.

And whatever you decide, HAVE FUN! It is a great sport.

Best wishes.

Leadturn... wow.. thanks for taking the time to write up that post. That is very helpful. I've often wanted to learn to service the gear. I even thought of going to work at a shop just to learn more. (although I work as an engineer full time)

I think I'm a long time from servicing my own gear and trusting my skills in that. For starters - I would like to begin with just learning it though... Do you know of any good servicing manuals or books you would recommend for some of the big named brands (i.e. scuba pro, oceanic...etc) or better yet classes?

As far as the gear - I'm fully geared up at this point... always on leisure pro looking for something to buy but if I put anything more on my bcd I'm going to look like a sea urchin.

I bought a tec/rec bcd - wish I had gone full tech - because I like a more streamlined light bcd with a back inflate bladder. I don't really enjoy the restrictive feeling (I say that now but if something really happened - maybe I would!) I ended up with the bcd I have now because of some advice from an LDS. It's a good one but I was a bit disappointed by the advice (long story) after the purchase. I'm sure I'll probably buy a more technical one when I start heading in that direction.

Right now I'm hitting the same issue again with DPV's. If it was only an issue of a couple of hundred dollars then ok.. but I'm some times running into a $700 disparity in pricing. I've got two dpv's right now and about to trade one. I want a newer tech one but $700 is a bit too much for the loyalty thing - my only apprehension is if I can get some free servicing locally... which might be worth it.

sorry if someone already posted this response and i missed it but, " if you don't support your local dive shop it will cost you a lot to send your tanks to leisure pro for fills!" or buy your own compressor, it's the same argument on independant instructors vs dive shops, sure low overhead usually gets you a better price, but at what expense

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom