Stay Local... Is there a good reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uzbeckin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been struggling with this issue and wanted to get a fresh perspective. Since I'm a new diver I have to do a lot of research to buy the right gear - from asking local divers... to talking to dive shops... to reading a LOT of reviews on the internet. At this point I'm more building out my gear and finding what works for me but a constant problem I find is the whole support the local dive shop vs. half price on the internet. I think I want to build a great relationship with my lds but sometimes feel it is a bit of highway robbery. I buy the books/vids from them for certification just because I want to be fair - but with gear I'm not sure what to do.

Here's an example... I'm in a dive shop and I saw some fins I liked. I asked the price and they were $250 with a cheap mask and snorkel - I explained I have a mask and snorkel and they said since I was a "valued customer" they would give it to me for $210... then 190. I looked at another dive shop and they were $189 right on the shelf. I could buy it on the internet for $119. They are always telling me if I buy anything from the internet that the manufacturer won't support it. Is that really true? I'm not independently wealthy - and for $119 I can nearly buy two for the same price. On a side note - I've visited one dive shop and on several occasions I asked the price on something and they explained I was a valued customer and quoted me a price - then I would notice there actually was a price sticker on the item and it was lower than what they told me - I keep telling myself - probably an honest mistake but this is the third time it's happened. Anyone had any bad experiences with some of the big shops? Leisurepro...etc?

On the flip side - If someone from a dive shop spends some time with me to explain something and shows me options and helps me to understand what product is best and why - I think it wouldn't be right to then say "hey thanks" and go buy from the internet. That kind of help is worth its weight in gold and I'm happy to pay for it.

Anyone know a good local Hawaii dive shop that you recommend? I'm looking for one that is decently priced but not one that uses high pressure sales!

I'm also curious if there are any local dive shops in Hawaii with decent shopping carts and inventory that I can make impulse buys to imagine I'm diving while at work and read reviews while I'm bored?

Last edited:
The service that an LDS can provide you with in the setup, maintainence etc... of your gear. Not to mention helping you figure out the configuration and how to use said equipment truely can be worth it's weight in gold. That said. If you are a 'valued customer' and got that kind of run around than I would wonder what they mean by 'valued'?

I think that if you'd really like to build a relationship with these folks it needs to be started off on the right foot. I'd go in and talk to the owner/manager and let them know what happened to you and how it made you feel. They'll know from then on that you want to do business with them but if they pull a bunch of BS on you, you're no idiot and you and your wallet will move down the road.

How they react to that may be all the more you need to know about how they run their business. It's a hard one... buy at the LDS or buy cheaper on the web? I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer that fit's all circumstance's. There are many reasons to buy from an LDS, not the least of which you already mentioned. There are many reasons to buy from the web, not the least of which you already mentioned.

I'm personally a big fan of a local dealer in all things I do. well.... maybe not for a toaster oven... :) (yes I do work at a scuba shop but owned all my gear before I did, but I also rock and mountain climb, ride bikes, motorcycles and have a crazy amount of tools and trinkets to maintain all this stuff.... and I stay local for all these things) I like the idea that when I have a question about a piece of equipment I have someone that I can talk with face to face and they become a friend over time, when I have a problem I have someone that I feel is more personally involved (as they are my friend) in helping me resolve it. Plus if I got a gripe, I get to bitch at a person (my friend) eye to eye rather then someone I don't know over the phone or email.

I know I pay more for all my stuff, but I spend far less time and effort than my friends who try to save 20 -30 or even 40% on that initial purchase via the web. If it's stuff that don't need support then I may buy it online if my friends can't get close enough to the price I need.

Just my 2 bubbles

Wayne... Personally I think local shops miss out big time on the web ordering. I would buy something crazy overpriced if I could impulse buy it locally while I'm daydreaming about diving from my dark evil cubicle. Why does no one have a web page with any inventory? No reviews... no local input... seems to me they are missing out on a lot of sales. Maybe I'm wrong - any shop owners out there who can comment why they don't do it? I can imagine the reviews of products in local waters would be great - Not that review postings are always right - there are always those who ruin the party - but leisurepro actually REVIEWS the reviews before they're posted - so a wee bit filtered - but when one makes it through that is candid - it really helps. I'll let you know if my posting bashing the bladefish 5000 gets through before I can say the reviews are totally candid.

I don't think they're the only ones who can do this... guys/ladies .... why have a website that is nothing more than a poster for your company?

I'd buy it from Leisure Pro and save over $100. I've never had a problem dealing with leisurepro, 10 years and over $2000 worth of business. The only thing with the fins is that I would make sure you have the size right, shipping is expensive to Hawaii for returns. Leisurepro is a reputable store.

I copied this from the Leisure Pro website. I understand the point they are trying to get across. However, the way I read it, they are pretty much saying...We do not have permission from some of the manufactures to sell their products. We get them however we can and sell them for whatever we want.

"Leisure Pro buyers find the best products at the lowest possible prices wherever they are. Since (sometimes) that means that we do not buy it directly from the manufacturer, nor are we authorized by them to sell their products, so we are not bound by the official/unofficial manufacturer's suggested retail prices, and we can pass on the tremendous savings to you. In some instances the product will come without an English language manual or manufacturer's warrantee cards valid in the United States. In those cases, we provide our own Leisure Pro Warranty, which offers equal or greater protection. "

I know people are trying to save money. And I want to save money as well. But if a company admits they are getting their products from "wherever they are" (grey market), then I am not inclined to support them. They get the "best prices wherever they are"...So if they find someone on the street corner selling a bunch of new BCs for a few bucks each, then sell them to you...well...

There are good dive shops out there that are trying to earn a modest living helping people enjoy the sport of diving. You just have to find a shop that you feel comfortable with, that is honest, that offers great customer service, and that is a fun place to be a part of. If a shop feels "wrong" to you...go somewhere else. Just like any other business, there are dive shops that are not where you want to spend your money. Good luck and fun shopping.

Hawaii businesses in general are terrible at having online stores. I am shocked whenever a shop has a website, let alone a *functional* website.

Personally, I have no problem saying "no thanks" and leaving if the price in the store is a lot more than online. I am more than happy to pay a higher price for the good customer service and to build a relationship with a store. But if I can get it a lot cheaper online, I will. I don't intend to be mean about it, but if I can save $100 for groceries or dog food, I will.

If a store tried to rip me off by quoting me a "special" price that is not all that special, I would call them on it and give them a chance to backpedal. If they don't cop to it, I wouldn't do business with them again.

On a semi-related note, I have gotten some great deals on eBay. Some of the sellers on eBay are mainland LDSs, so in a way, you ARE buying local. Just not local to Hawaii.

Last edited:
I heard Leisure Pro buys up all the equipment from struggling Local Dive Shops for next to nothing to bail them out and then wholesales them. Is that true?

One thing I can tell you is Leisurepro has been a God send for some of the products I use. Aqualung is notorious for setting prices to where a dealer can not sale less then the MSRP. Now with that being said my slingshots at the time I bought them were 210 dollars in the store 125 dollars on leisurepro. Of coure aqualung throws the whole we wont honor the warranty garbage down your throat but hey its ok how much could go wrong with fins?

Now I say what could go wrong with them since I am limited in my salt water diving choices as Oklahoma does have a problem lacking salt water in natural enviornments. If you dive every day of the week then a warranty may be nice.

I dont like mentioning names out of respect but I learned early on saying leisurepro in a LDS is kind of like going to a gathering of one race of people and using a racial remark against that race. You can almost guarantee that there are going to be flaming pitch forks and a goon squad of employees.

With this being said its your money so spend it how you want too. If you look back in the threads youll find that the online versus LDS has been beaten into the ground too. LOL to the point most veterans of the board say oh lord here we go again. But Ill repeat my phrase that sums it all up. How many LDS shops do you see complaining that you wont buy from them as a slightly higher price do you see shopping at walmart because its cheaper then the other in town grocery store?

Good luck!

In fairness to some shops, setting up an on line store with carts and checkouts and inventory updating is not cheap. My Web guy is very reasonable and still quoted me a price of a couple grand to set up a basic one with all the features. I don't have that just starting out so we are taking a different approach and should have something going in a week or so. Basic but will still allow the buyer to put a list together and then contact me for a quote. Reason for this is my line for now will be smaller than the other on line places so the inventory stuff will not be as bad and the fact that even though there is a price I can advertise it may not be the best deal I can give you so let me make one for you.

Now that said, there is no reason to pay full retail for anything anywhere. If a shop is $100 higher than on line on most items it may be due to a few things. One being that they overbought and are carrying too much inventory. So they need to have higher prices than one with a lower inventory or higher sales traffic.

Another may be the agreement with the mfg. Some don't allow the shop to make deals. Or they force the shop to buy minimum amounts just to carry the line. Today that is very short sighted. It is often cheaper and may result in more sales by allowing the dealer to buy just what they need and let them build up a small inventory of things they can really sell as opposed to stuff that will sit for months. Those items do no one any good including the mfg. By offering no minimums and in some cases drop shipping directly to the consumer they not only make money but get their brand into places that may be saturated with other lines. Lines that are sometimes hundreds of dollars more for comparable items.

The consumer needs to research and educate themselves on these things. And then buy what you can afford. I just spent two weeks researching tires for my truck. SOme on line places looked like good deals until you figured in shipping, mounting and balancing, road hazard warranty, etc. One place would have been cheaper for the tires I got -$12 less total. So I went local $12 on $700 is no big savings. I bought a set of regs three years ago for my doubles. Checked locally not even close to the savings I got by going on line. That was a one time deal but still the line is great stuff and still less than similar ones. I now not only dive that line but sell it as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom