Statistics on divers from China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Dr Bill

I'm a dive master intern in Fiji and my dive instructor told me a horrific account of a couple who had advanced certs but clearly no experience because of an incident that happened underwater. He says they had paid for certs in China without doing any courses.

Is this something that the dive community is aware of? The super rich paying their way at the expense of health and safety under water.
Many thanks

I really can't comment on how the dive industry sees this (if they are even aware of it). I am not a dive professional but a marine biologist who uses SCUBA in pursuit of my research and underwater filming. Certainly the number of Chinese who at least try diving has increased significantly over the past two decades as the Chinese economy grows and more people benefit from it.

I have observed some groups of Chinese with really poor water skills in places like Palau but have no knowledge of what dive-specific training they may be receiving.

The industry looks poorly at people paying for a cert without doing a course or a poor course but this is not unique to China but can be found anywhere there are a large number of divers and folks with money.

Hi divers!
There's anyplace here on scubaboard forum where contact divers from different countries?
Next august I will move to live near Shanghai (kunshan-suzhou) with my wife and I would like to know other divers that live in the same area.
thank you all

Daniele from Italy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom