Static times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWB becomes a very real problem after 3 minutes for most of us. To market freediving as a somewhat safe sport then the competitive mindset needs to be minimized. Leave that to the extremists who want to set records. Most people that get into freediving are looking at it as an entry level way to get in the water, a simple way to get to look at pretty reefs, they don't want to be bothered with loads of scuba gear/costs/classes/hassle, they just want things to be simple and fun.
Freediving offers this option, and I don't mean just basic snorkeling, I mean actual breath hold diving which is the next step from just floating around on the surface. Many people start doing this without even realizing they are actually diving. It's a fluid and natural transition.
The more people do this the better they get at breath hold, and before they know it they're up beyond a minute gliding around looking at stuff. This can be true of families just enjoying snorkeling on reefs who love to spend a lot of vacation time in the water. Beyond a couple minutes and deeper than 30 or 40 feet (for most people) will take some official training and/or concentrated effort and commitment.
People who develop good freediving skills are more apt to pursue scuba diving as a way to satisfy the craving for more.
Those that get really good at freediving and get in with the right buddies/people may pursue advanced or competitive freediving as an end in itself.
Should just regular people take PF classes? maybe.
It wouldn't hurt for them to know what SWB is all about and how to minimize the risks. I think a simple recreational basic skin diving course would be a great idea. Not everyone needs to take a high performance class, but some recreational snorkelers/beginning freedivers are good enough just from self practice that they should at least begin to know some of the risks.
Right now there is no basic class that I know of.

You make some good points Eric. By the definition you use I have been free diving since about the age of 10 or younger (i.e. the last 39 years).

I went from that to my first SCUBA course at age 14 and then many years of SCUBA and am now back at Free Diving (I have sold my tanks).

There are many who regularly go beyond 30 or 40 ft with no training and no real knowledge of the risks. (I know several and have been spreading the word about the risks and the management of them)

I belong to a free diving club with a number of fairly serious divers (depths between 40m and 80m) and also those dabbling / learning who have "personal bests" in the 8m to 12m range. Part of the clubs ethos is to welcome all levels and provide appropriate help / guidance / education.

On the formal course side of things we now offer AIDA 1, 2 and 3 star courses to members. AIDA 1 and 2 star are entry level and suited to people exploring a little.

Back
Top Bottom