Statia Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Statia is on my list of must dos too! Is there beach diving or do you need to take boats out for the dive sites. I want to find a blue bead!:D

We saw beach diving being done on Statia although we did not do any shore diving during our all-too-short stay there. Best I can do is refer you to Golden Rock Divers (who we used) for more info.

http://www.goldenrockdive.com/dive_shop.htm

We did dive the Charlie Brown as one of our dives while we were there. Charlie, the resident potbellied barracuda, was the highlight of that dive for me personally.

The dive sites we visited, in order, were as follows:

The Blocks (Day 1 - only dive due to arrival time from Saba that day)
C/S Charles L. Brown (Dive 1 Day 2)
Barracuda (Dive 2 Day 2)
Wreck City (Dive 3 Day 2 - Night Dive)
Blue Bead Hole (Dive 1 Day 3 - muck dive!)
Blair's reef (Dive 2 Day 3)

I didn't even see any beach diving (hmm, maybe we'll have to try it), but I'd think you'd maximize your chance of finding a bead by doing the boat thing, as they'll be able to take you to places where people have found them before - and I have to day that Mike at Golden Rock was one of the best divemasters we've ever had anywhere. That is really a fantastic dive op.

Then again, they say you can find the blue beads on the beach!!

Warm Water - yeah, those newer wrecks are sort of devoid of interesting life...but I still love seeing a wreck underwater - makes you feel so small...

I actually contacted our travel agent yesterday to start looking at March 2007. This will be the first time I've actually repeated a destination, which says something about our fondness for the place...

Happy New Year to you all!

The beach diving is primarily for introductory instruction I think. What we saw was done from the black sand beach just north of The Old Gin House. I saw the divers towing a diver down float so it certainly isn't Bonaire, and it will be in black sand flats kind of like Blue Bead Hole but much shallower. Should offer decent black sand flats photo opportunities though - trade a few messages with the owners of Golden Rock, Glenn has some amazing pictures and I'd be suprised if some of them aren't from the beach dive. We heard from the Dutch interns doing ther hotel-restaraunt management internship it's also a decent snorkeling spot, just not "reefy". What a life - to be 20ish and working at a hotel and dive shop for school credit in December instead of being in The Netherlands!

Also, we saw chain morays in the shallows right where the Golden Rock fill station and drying room is located when a tourist diver eating BBQ chicken from the Shell gas station around the corner tossed his chicken bones in the shallows there! What is the term for a group of eels - "basket"?? anyway, there were a bunch of them going after the chicken bones in broad daylight (lunchtime). We did not see or photo any chain morays on our dives there though. Another potential shallow snorkel opportunity maybe, but I'd consult with the Golden Rock staff before attempting.

The Sea Pen we saw and photographed on our night dive at Wreck City is the only sea pen we've seen anywhere we've traveled! And Charlie is the only potbellied barracuda we've seen - Lisa pointed out this feature to my wife while my wife was taking the picture!

We did The Highway on the Charles Brown - maybe next visit, we can prep for another dive path for something different if we stay longer (which we will if / when we return).

http://www.goldenrockdive.com/DPCB.htm

I'm not enough of a photo wiz to get these posted in something other than MS PowerPoint, so these will have to do.

Well, looks like my ppt file uploadss didn't pan out. Just PM me with an external e-mail address and I can send you pics if interested.

I'm planning a trip to Statia as well. Going to be in St. Kitts for most of the trip but I have contacted Golden Rock Dive and I'm looking forward to spending about 3 nights there in late April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom