Statia Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip booked for 3/4/06 to 3/11/06. Staying at "The Old Gin House" and diving with Golden Rock Divers. My wife will be doing her 4 Cert dives while there. Any must do / see activities? Do's or Don'ts? Suggestions? :huh:

Looking forward to a trip report. We don't see a lot of divers post from there. I have heard it is similar to Dominica - not a developed, not as touristy, lots of eco stuff to do and pretty good diving (above Caribbean average).

We just got back from 7 nights on Saba and 3 nights on Statia, using the same dive center & hotel on Statia. I really enjoyed Statia. Two 'must do dives' IMO are the Blue Bead Hole muck dive, and the night dive at Wreck City. You wind up unintentionally being the maitre'd for Barry the Barracuda - he's about 6' long and very stealthy. You happen to look up and he'll be about 1 foot from your shoulder, then ZAP the goatfish your light happened to be pointed near is gone.

Take a walking tour of the fort - everyone was putting their Christmas decorations out, the Catholic church from 1910 was awesome as dusk was falling. Check out the stained glass and think about how many tropical weather systems they've been in the path of.

PM me with your external e-mail address if you'd like some pictures.

Statia is a place I'd just as soon try another trip to instead of going someplace new - and that says a lot from me!

What would you compare the diving to?

DH and I did a split stay in late Feb 2005, 4 nights each in Saba and Statia - we stayed at the Old Gin House and dove with Golden Rock. I posted a trip report here, if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it.

Saba pinnacles were amazing, but we really took a shine to Statia (island and the diving). Think we're going to head back in spring 2006 for a week and skip Saba altogether, in fact.

The island itself is lovely and very quiet, old Caribbean style, not a kazillion people everywhere - I recommend a hike up to the Quill, and make sure you try out some of the restaurants in the area (get there early, as they close early), the locals and expats are friendly and wonderful. Glenn and Michelle at the hotel are fantastic, and we really liked the dive staff, too.

I concur with Warm Water Diver's choices of dives - we also enjoyed the Charlie Brown and the Chien Tong, though they are newer artifical reefs and not covered with life like wreck city! Listen up while you're there - the humpbacks were migrating during our trip in early spring, and they were so loud that it was quite disturbing!

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom