Starting Rebreather, Cold or Warm Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi There,

I am gonna jump into the CCR world, so I am looking for a place to start. Around my place there is only cold waters where the use of drysuit is compulsory or I can choose to go in a warmer place. I guess warm water will make the start easier but guessing between a cold or warm place is that really important to start?

Your views are welcome.

Exposure

Like with everything else: keep it simple. You will have to relearn buoyancy diving a rebreather and having to manage a dry suit at the same time is not a good idea. Make it easier on yourself and dive in the most comfortable environment, then add to it. Another thing to consider is visibility. You will not be able to see your instructor or your instructor seeing you doing drills when you only have a couple feet of viz. Decrease your stress level and maximize your learning by optimizing your environment overall.

Thank you dreamdive. That really make sense. My point was that being trained in an environment that is not my usual place will tend to make that training useless but clearly easier. I am guessing. The other environment that I am talking about is closer to my usual one, but as said it will require to manage the drysuit with the CCR and of course a reduced visibility. Choosing the easier one will require to get experience in a different environment than were I learned.

First off, congrats on making the best decision of your life in moving forward with rebreather diving !!! What I can ell you is this;

1 - I did my rebreather training in a 7mm wetsuit, in cold waters, (Southern California), and continue to dive with a wetsuit. It is "information overload" when doing your certification/training, and a drysuit is one less thing to worry about. Just my opinion.
2 - Easier to dial in your buoyancy, initially, in a wetsuit. Just my opinion.
3 - I continue to dive here in a 7mm wetsuit, all year one, as one of the key benenfits of rebreather diving is the WARM, moist air. Guess what, it keeps you warm !! :)

I did mine in the Red Sea in January in a dry suit. The advantages were easy shore diving at any time, good vis, no snow, no gloves, pretty fish and excellent stars.

My biggest worry is losing control of buoyancy. I was glad to have expert advice while diving the dry suit.

January in a UK lake is pretty cold and tiring. The vis can be ok but after two long dives a day for a week long course I'd expect to be completely useless.

I did my CCR training in a drysuit (even in the pool), because 90% of my diving is in a deep, cold quarry. I believe in training in the environment in which I will be diving. I had well over 700 drysuit dives before I started CCR & had no real problems,... especially when I only use the drysuit for warmth, not buoyancy. I use the wing for buoyancy & keep only optimal volume in the counterlungs to help prevent buoyancy swings. I basically have to remember that I now have 3 air spaces I have to manage. 1. the BC or wing. 2. the drysuit & 3. the counterlungs. Yes, it was a lot to keep up with at first,... but manageable.

Hi There,

I am gonna jump into the CCR world, so I am looking for a place to start. Around my place there is only cold waters where the use of drysuit is compulsory or I can choose to go in a warmer place. I guess warm water will make the start easier but guessing between a cold or warm place is that really important to start?

Your views are welcome.

Exposure

I think both have their benefits and downsides. What type of environment will you be doing most of your dives in? If that's cold water it might be better to do your training in cold water, get your weighting correct with your drysuit and be comfortable in drygloves or whatever you'll be diving. Warm water does have it's benefits. Usually you can spend more time, comfortably in the water. It's easy to feel buttons and get to know whichever unit you're on. I just really think it's up to you and what you're comfortable with.

Good luck!

I think you should do you training in the same or similar environment of your most frequency dive site. There is no point of doing training in warm water with minimal suit while 90% of your dive is in cold water where drysuit is required. You want to learn the proper skill set for your environment under the proper instruction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom