Started certification path...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Final (hopefully) pool skills day tomorrow. Excited, but still nervous.

Question: is it a normal request to ask my LDS where I'm doing my class / pool to have a practice session in the pool prior to my OW checkouts? It will be 7-8 weeks before them, likely, and I'm thinking a little extra practice would be nice. Obviously I'd be willing to pay fees, and do it during open slots in the pool.

Funny you mention the extra sessions. My wife begins her pool session May 5 and 9th and then we both have our OW sessions May 18 and 19th. I spoke with my LDS and I will be joining my wife during her pool sessions. Extra time :) Mainly just because its too much fun. And, I know the extra time will just help build my skills.

Pool skills are done! :)

I can't say enough good things about my instructor and LDS (Todd at Adventure Sports Scuba in Minnesota). The level of patience he had with us as students to make certain everything was safe, comfortable, and understood was awesome.

And the new BC worked like a charm. Was even able to drop 4 pounds of weight since the improved balance made the buoyancy skills so much easier.

Okay, I am going nuts over here. Really looking forward to the pool sessions (again). I am hooked and I haven't got to do much yet. The wife is getting tired of me constantly discussing all things scuba. Took the dog to the vet yesterday and ended up BS'ing with the vet for approximately 30 minutes about scuba and how fun it is! Lol.

Hi kerrycorcoran,

There is a reason they put so much emphasis on the mask removal and clearing during your open water course. It is because most people find that sensation odd. And not breathing through you nose is something that takes a little practice.

It sounds like you are off to a great start! Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Glad you are all enjoying it and having fun. Mask removal is something you should be comfortable with as when it happens in real life, it wont be with warning. I must admit I am addicted to diving. Going to Brunei, Tonga, Vanuatu and new Zealand this year and wish I could fit more in.

Got to do another pool dive with the wife's class this past Sunday. Had a great time, can't say enough about our LDS (huskerdivers); the instructors pay close attention and make things fun and relaxing, yet drive the points home. It is amazing how much of a difference in confidence [I have gained] of equipment from the first pool dives. I have a long way to go, but i can tell the training is 'clicking'. Another session this coming Friday night.

Just saw this thread.....I enjoy seeing all the comments about being excited about the pool and OW sessions...I got my OW Cert in Jan/Feb of this year and couldn't wait for the pool and OW dives. Went to thailand a month after that and dove there....came back to Seattle and bought all my gear and now I can't get to the water enough :)

I just this past weekend did my checkout dives and it was awesome. When I was in the pool, I found that when I was taking water in my nose, if I pinched it until I had control, it made it much easier and I took less water in. It gave me that few seconds I needed to get everything in order.

The best advice I was given was to take your time and breathe. As long as you have air you are fine. If you get your breathing under control and relax, you can then think better.

Hey Corc, where are you going to do your OW dives at? Now that you're getting certified, all your vacations will be planned to go somewhere you can get a dive in. So the next time you and The Bob go somewhere fun, you better invite me!!!

Back
Top Bottom