Started certification path...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kerrycorcoran

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Completed my academic studies and testing a few months ago. Due to a crazy work schedule, didn't have time to start the pool sessions until this past weekend. What a blast. I know it's simply pool time, but its still so much fun. The good news is I started to understand that just because I get a little water in my nose does not mean I have to surface to resolve. Simply stay calm, CONTINUE to breathe through my regulator and clear my nose/mask when relaxed and ready. I know this probably sounds like common sense, but initially I would feel a sensation of water in my nostril and immediately begin looking for a safe passage to the surface. Something that really helped to drive this home was the instructor having the class swim the length of the pool WITHOUT our masks, only the regulator. At one point I inhaled via my nose and stopped IMMEDIATELY when I felt the water, however I stayed under and on the exhale pushed the air out of my nose.

Can't wait for Sunday to roll around for the next pool session.

Sounds like you have learned a lot so far. Remember...stop...breathe...think...breathe again...and react.

Good job and keep at those skills even after you get your cert!

It's amazing what we can learn to control, and lessons you get in this class will serve you well in your later diving. Come back and tell us how the open water dives go!

sounds like you are having a good time. enjoy it and keep exploring. there are a lot of things to see down there ;-)

Glad I'm not the only new person here. :)

Had my pool session today, but ended up aborting halfway through. Only other new student had a panic attack. :-( I felt horrible for her, but the instructor was awesome. Kept her safe, calmed her down, and talked her down. She scheduled a different date to come back. I was hoping to continue, but had my own issue a couple of hours later...

I never got quite comfortable, and couldn't stop moving my arms. Finally, the instructor had me swap setups with him (we are similar sized). Note, I'm a big guy. Had a 3mm suit on, and had to have 24 pounds of weight on the belt just to get me down.

Once I removed the belt and put on his BC, my arms stopped moving like he'd flipped a switch. Balance of weight in his BC was a night and day difference from the belt shifting on me.

So, I'm going back Friday to complete the pool drills with a weight integrated BC. I understand they aren't for everyone, but the change in my comfort and stress level was amazing. Excited!

My BCD is weight integrated, thus far i am happy with it. Course, I am so new to this anytie I walk away from the pool without having swallowed a few gallons of pool water is a good day. :)
Taking off in about 10 minutes for my 2nd pool day. Hoping it goes well.

Good luck to both of you. OW can be tough but keep your heads in the right place and you will get thru it. Remember that the instructor is there because he/she knows what they are doing and to listen to them closely.

Had a great day in the pool. It is crazy how much different this was from the first day; trust the procedures. While clearing my mask I took on water and began to cough. I stayed down, continued to cough and worked through it. We also worked on buoyancy today, definitely a challenge (skill) that requires feel, but started to get a feel for it by the end of the session. Will get to test OW May 18-19, looking forward to more dive time.
My wife thinks I have lost my mind, maybe so - but I keep telling her we might find it 60' down :)

I'll have to try that line on my wife. :)

Glad to hear it went well! Hopefully my Friday session is similar.

Well you are all doing well. I still remember when I went for my first dive and got water up my nose and thought, nope no way I can do this. My wife who was scared went to the bottom of the pool 10' so I thought if she can do this I can as well and pushed on. Now you cant get me out of the water and my whole life is diving. Going through the course will teach you things about yourself and force you to push yourself in some areas. This helps you become a better person and gives you more belief in yourself as a person. That you have had the courage to sort the issues out while under water is great and shows that you are already growing as a diver. Well done everyone and enjoy your future diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom