Start with 7mm or just get drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand, I was understanding it that the thermocline went down to 15c from surface temps of 25c.

I still dive locally down to 6c comfortably in a semidry. 4c I do believe I would use heated undergarments, stitch to drysuit, or find somewhere else to dive lol

I did OW in a drysuit.

I don’t see the point of 7mm wetsuits if it’s cold enough for that thick of a suit go with a drysuit.

I just got back from a Red Sea liveaboard and still dove dry. They recommended a 7mm for the time we went, I only have a 3mm and a drysuit so I brought the drysuit no hood and just wore my dry gloves with no undergloves just because my wrist seals leak ever so slightly . In hindsight I could have done it with my 3mm it was 21-23C ...... but I like getting out of the water dry.

Hey...great replies. Thanks.

Just to be clear, we are 1 pool dive into our open water. So the rest will be in the drysuits. We used the shops wetsuits last time since I was still on the fence between wet vs dry

After sleeping on it, I’m going to swap out the 7mm suits for the Exodry Drysuits.

Here is my reasoning

1) Kids and wife are happier warm.
2) Additional cost isn’t that huge...well maybe a little huge.
3) The argument of “I don’t see the point of 7mm suits” is compelling. If it’s that cold, a drysuit is better and the 7mm wet is probably just being used due to lack of drysuit.
4) I’m in Germany not Florida :(
5) I’m guessing all those 15-25 degree temperatures are surface so it’s gonna be colder below
6) Extends my seasons a bit. Christmas diving in the Canaries will likely be more enjoyable.
7). Way too many people saying once you go dry you will never go back.

Thanks all. I will report back in a bit how it went.

I did SDI open water and drysuit certs concurrently - US Midwest.

Get the drysuit. However, isn’t a neoprene one going to be heavy for traveling and especially on your return trip when it’s maybe still wet?

I don’t see the point of 7mm wetsuits if it’s cold enough for that thick of a suit go with a drysuit.

The point of 7mm wetsuits is that they cost about 10 times less and don’t require expensive seal replacements every so often.

If budget is not a limiting factor, then wetsuit has little appeal, but for most people I know it still is.

Just to be clear, we are 1 pool dive into our open water. So the rest will be in the drysuits. We used the shops wetsuits last time since I was still on the fence between wet vs dry

After sleeping on it, I’m going to swap out the 7mm suits for the Exodry Drysuits.

Here is my reasoning

3) The argument of “I don’t see the point of 7mm suits” is compelling. If it’s that cold, a drysuit is better and the 7mm wet is probably just being used due to lack of drysuit.
5) I’m guessing all those 15-25 degree temperatures are surface so it’s gonna be colder below
6) Extends my seasons a bit. Christmas diving in the Canaries will likely be more enjoyable.

Sounds like you were pretty set in your decision to begin with, and just needed a little encouragement from the army of drysuit lovers out here :)

Good luck with your class and have fun!

Here is my reasoning

Good call! We have a similar climate and if you're wanting to enjoy local diving all year round you'll definitely need a drysuit. Nothing wrong with a 7mm, but even a thick wetsuit won't keep you warm during the surface interval in Winter months.

Regarding certification, yes you can definitely do your (dare I say it) PADI OW in a drysuit as long as you do a pool based orientation beforehand. We usually do this on the final day of the confined water sessions. Now, at the risk of being shot down in flames, many dive centres will offer a significant discount if you want to incorporate your drysuit speciality. Just saying is all.

The point of 7mm wetsuits is that they cost about 10 times less and don’t require expensive seal replacements every so often.

If budget is not a limiting factor, then wetsuit has little appeal, but for most people I know it still is.
my outlet drysuit cost a little over double the price of a new 7mm wetsuit. the only imperfection it had was that it was a demo suit with a tiny 1mm hole on it which was repaired in the factory before they sold it to me. otherwise it was perfect and unused. if budget is a consideration you can look for a this kind of cheaper option rather than purchasing a normal prices suit for 1000+ bucks . the fish don't mind if there is a small patch on it or it is slightly wrong color and you won't notice it in the water either :p
after one dive it will be in similar condition anyway so who cares:D

I was set...then I wasn’t set....then I was set...then wasn’t...and now I am set again :)

I just wanted to hear a little encouragement about it being ok from the start.

Regarding price, the Exodry is suprisingly affordable. Certainly cheaper than buying a high end 7mm then getting a drysuit a year later.

Thanks all!

My drysuit was $1100 USD brand new shipped and including taxes
It’s an off the shelf not custom fitted but it does the job. The fit isn’t great (not the suits issue) but it keeps me just as dry as a $5000 suit does.
A quality 7 mm is what? 6-800??? Hardly a big jump. Wetsuits compress and wear out over time as well.
Take care of it and lube the zipper all the time and they will last. A $5-10 tube of aqua seal will fix majority of leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom