Start w/drysuit, or cheap wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hobodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not a new diver, but got interested in it again recently. I'm currently renting all my gear, and I'm thinking of getting an "exposure suit" as my first purchase, since I'm sick of trying on wetsuits every time I want to rent. I had been thinking of getting a wetsuit to start with (either the aqualung aquaflex, or a pinnacle element, 7mm in each), but then I started reading about the White's Fusion drysuit, and it made me wonder if maybe I should just jump straight to a drysuit. I suppose my biggest questions (since I'll continue renting the rest of my gear until I decide what to get) are:

BCD: Do I need to get a BP/W, or can I continue to use a rental jacket style BCD?
Weighting: Can I wear a regular weight belt, or do I need to get a harness or something like that?
Regulator hoses: Will I be able to rent a regulator w/an extra inflator hose for the drysuit?

I'm currently doing most of my diving in the NYC area (including Dutch Springs), but I plan to do some warmer Caribbean diving once or twice/year.

If you know you really want do a lot of diving year round, I would say go for a drysuit. However, if there's a hint of doubt, I'd say wait on the purchase until you know. Nothing worse than paying $$$ for some stuffs that you don't use much.

It only takes about 1 minute to mount an additional LP hose to a rental reg in order to make it work with a drysuit. Or you can do it yourself, with an allen wrench and an adjustable wrench.

Wetsuits thicker than 5mm are no fun at all, so if you cannot make do with a 5mm wetsuit, then I would definitely recommend the drysuit instead.

Lets see
Pinnacle Element wetsiut $385
Reg and BCD ~$800-$1000
total ~$1200 - $1400

Pinnacle EVO2 with undergarments and overboots $1900+
Whites Fusion $1500+

hmmm... seems to me getting the BCD and Regulator AND some thermal protection is a better deal for your money. If you have the cash for a drysuit, I would highly recommend getting the reg and BCD first. IMO Life support equipment is a more important first purchase.

you'll never "NEED" a bp/w
your weight system will depend on the rig that you wear
inflator hoses are rarely (if ever) on rental regulators, at least I have never seen it.

BCD: Do I need to get a BP/W, or can I continue to use a rental jacket style BCD?
It may change the size you rent but a jacket will work fine with a drysuit.

Weighting: Can I wear a regular weight belt, or do I need to get a harness or something like that?
You don't need a harness but it can be desirable. Depending on your build, the suit and choice of undergarments your hips may loose some definition and keeping a weight belt in place may be a problem. Plenty of divers to dive dry with simple belts.

A harness will also let you wear weight below your natural hips which can be a good trim setting option.

Regulator hoses: Will I be able to rent a regulator w/an extra inflater hose for the drysuit?
They may have some with hoses already installed. A new suit will come with a hose and you can install yours in a jiffy.
I'm currently doing most of my diving in the NYC area (including Dutch Springs), but I plan to do some warmer Caribbean diving once or twice/year.

I have been able to go from a 7mm drysuit with garment to trunks with a single BC. In your case it will depend where you fall in the size range. A hog harness would give you some inherent flexibility.

I have tried the Fusion and it is a neat piece of goods. If dove nice and was easy enough to get into.

If I were you I'd go wet unless you really plan on pushing the seasons. I happen to enjoy diving wet and would hate to have my local diving confined to a drysuit. It is much easier to keep comfortable in a wetsuit on a hot day than in a drysuit for one thing. When diving wet you do not need to walk the hydration tightrope. If you do decide to go dry include a pee valve in the budget $$. By going wet you will free up significant cash to get into the rest of your own gear. Like most you can always add the drysuit latter.

Pete

Id go for the 7 mil wetsuit.You wont be able to play tennis in it,but the warmth and simplicity of it,and the fact that youll save a bunch vs the drysuit can get you in a good reg setup.Rent the other items till you can purchase them.

I suggest starting out in a bp/w, and transitioning to a drysuit once you have basic bouyancy skills down. Having 2 gas bubbles to manage can be a bit much for a new diver, so learning one at a time is what I suggest.

hmmm... seems to me getting the BCD and Regulator AND some thermal protection is a better deal for your money. If you have the cash for a drysuit, I would highly recommend getting the reg and BCD first. IMO Life support equipment is a more important first purchase.

To a certain extent, I agree with you. But my local dive shop allows me to credit my rentals against the purchase price of equipment (i.e. rent a regulator, you can credit all your regulator rentals against the purchase of a regulator, up to 30% of the total), and I'm not sure what type of Reg./BCD I want. They also don't carry Pinnacle, so I'd have to get that elsewhere. Also, if I get the Pinnacle Element, and later get a drysuit, the price of the Element is kind of flushed down the toilet. So the $1500 Fusion becomes a $1900 Fusion.

I suggest starting out in a bp/w, and transitioning to a drysuit once you have basic bouyancy skills down. Having 2 gas bubbles to manage can be a bit much for a new diver, so learning one at a time is what I suggest.

No doubt true, but I'm not really a new diver. I've been certified for 20 years, I just haven't done a whole lot of diving over the years. I've never had any problems with buoyancy.

It's actually quite common in northern regions. It ;s not uncommon for Canadian diver to do OW cert dives dry. I would not let this be a barrier.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom