Start Open Water Certification in a week...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I start my Open Water class next weekend and I have to admit I am somewhat nervous and excited. My major concern is I am not the best of swimmers but I have done some free diving. I am 6ft 207 lbs guy who does mostly weightlifting and cross training so I'm concerned if maybe my weight will effect my buoyancy. Should I try to lose weight and practice my open water swimming? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:D

Howdy!

I'm new to Scuba Board, yet as an instructor, I have to say that it is not only being in good shape, but also you feeling comfortable with the gear on in the water. Being a "good" swimmer, as any instructor can tell you means many different things to different people!

It sounds like you are in good physical shape. I wouldn't loose weight for your class. Swimming is always a plus!

As for buoyancy, your instructor will help you with that. If you have any other concerns, ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR! Don't ever be afraid to ask your instructor about concerns!!! I know you aren't the only one who's brought that question up, far from it! AND asking in class will help others who don't ask!

6ft @ 207 lbs. is about normal where I'm from, many guys at 6 feet are even heavier!

Enjoy your class, pay attention to your instructor, be safe most of all & have a GREAT time! :D

Buoyancy as it turns out is more of a personal thing, than an absolute. I am 6'0 and weigh 194. But I don't lift weights. You cant tell it but I am overweight.:). Because my overweight is fat, I have to wear a little more lead to compensate than I really should have to. Right now, your BMI is 28.1 Generally speaking you are overweight for your height. :) This will affect your Buoyancy. However I seriously doubt its anything to be concerned about!!! Work on feeling safe and comfortable in the water. Im not sure what a "good" swimmer is, but in my book that's someone that can jump in the water and tread water for at least three minutes without becoming winded. PADI has a number of swimming exercises that are part of the certification that likely address the concern about your swimming skills, and will help you to become more confident in your swimming abilities once you see that you can successfully complete them. I personally feel that long term, confidence in the water is imperative to being a good diver, but that is something that you can develop over time. Take it easy, enjoy the process, and become a better swimmer as a result, and an even better diver. This is not a hard sport to become decent at quickly if you can follow simple directions and advice.. I am beginning to see however that it is one that takes a lifetime to master. Take in all you can in the class and RELAX! Its going to be fun, and being relaxed will help you really more than anything in diving IMHO.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I started studying and completing my Open Water book and the info is really interesting. I'm eager to see how my first dive goes...

The swim requirement is simple. At you Instructor's discretion, you either have to do 200 yds/meters any stroke, or 300 with mask, fins, & snorkel (no arm use). No time limit on either. If you have to do the 300 I wouldn't even bother to practise--it's just leg strength. If it's the 200, simply get to a pool and see if you can do it without stopping--then you've got it made. How much you want to improve your overall leg strength/diving fitness is then up to you.

Welcome to the community. You should not have any issues. You should see the size of some divers. The majority are not the body type in the diving magazines.

Back
Top Bottom