Starbucks' is Open in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'm SOOOOO glad someone else agrees that finding a decent cup of coffee here is extraordinarily hard. QUOTE]

I have noticed the same thing. Although Mexico grows mass quantities of coffee, most of the high quality arabica beans are exported to markets willing to pay premium prices. The robusta, or lower quality beans are what is used domesticaly (in Mexico) for consumption. These lower quality beans are also very popular in the U.S. for our flavored coffee market. They mask the rough taste of the beans with flavored oils.

One would think that the quality of coffee would increase when they travel to it's places of origin. Jamaica also exports enormous quantities of coffee from it's Blue Mountain region. But all the coffee I have ever drank while in Jamaica is great, I think that even their domestic product is wonderful. :coffee: Even the stuff in the mini packs in your hotel room is good and that stuff is usually undrinkable for me. Africa on the other hand has terrible coffee. It is all instant, never seen them brew a pot. If it has any caffeine, I don't notice it.:shakehead: I switch to tea when I travel there and any big coffee drinker knows that is just not the same.

I would have thought by now there was a reputable importer and roster in the Cancun/Riviera area.:confused:

Here's an article that just came out in the Chicago Sun-Times today that I thought was topical. It measures your SBQ (Starbucks Quotient) to see if your neighborhood is "happening" or not. It's measured by Zipcode which is wildly inaccurate since neighborhoods change block by block in this city. I have 4 Starbucks in my zipcode but the nearest is 2 miles away. You definitely wouldn't call my neighborhood "happening"!!!

If I could find a mom & pop coffee shop around here that was consistent with the way they made their drinks I would patronize them almost exclusively. I can not stand having my drink made 3 different ways on 3 different occasions. As I said earlier, I normally hit Caribou coffee though, Starbucks as a last resort.

Something that was not touched on... Let's not forget that they offer part time employees health insurance. I can't think of too many places where a struggling college student is going to get health insurance with only working 20 hours.

As far as the evil empire... that's stretching it a bit (we can leave that title to Wal-Mart). Yes, it's definitely dumbing down our senses and tastes as far as what good coffee is but they pretty much started this whole thing anyway. They are the McDonalds of coffee, you can go anywhere in the world and get the same kind of drink that will only differ by who made it. Is that a good thing? Obviously that's part of the debate...

BTW - If I just want a regular cup of Joe, making it at home in a coffee press is always a better alternative to me.

I'm happy to say that there isn't a Starbucks anywhere near where I live -
edited by Mania

Kona or Kauai or Blue Mountain or Los Planes Beans, freshly ground, french press...oh yeah...ahhhhh...

CN

I like to get a cup at Chiapas . Hey it's nothing fancy , smells great , friendly people , it is so Un-Corporate . I like the other coffeshop a few blocks away" Daily Grind"(?) or something catchy like that. Third place goes to the one near Margaritaville (barf) ,they have the internet there. With those 3 excellent choices why would I need Star-shmucks in Cozumel.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.:coffee:

I do frequent Star-shmucks at home mostly because I will get an Americano made fresh and not something in a glass pot simmering for hours (yuk)

but If I had to choose between living near CN
edited by Mania
or living near Christi and Starbucks and the other great friends we have made in Cozumel, I would not hesitate for even 1 second...and I really dislike coffee. Much is to be said for living in paridise even with Starbucks in town!!! Looking forward to our next visit in November.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

sorry I missed this conversation I was outside moving my plastic pink flamingos around in front of my trailer:D

While you're at it...maybe you should move the old appliances to the [-]front yard[/-] driveway as well! :rofl3:

While you're at it...maybe you should move the old appliances to the [-]front yard[/-] driveway as well! :rofl3:

good idea...I wouldn't want the view from my velour sofa on the front porch where I drink my Sanka coffee blocked:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom