Starbucks' is Open in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, based on your own words in your diatribe against Starbuck's,

edited by Mania

By the way everyone...I've met Cowboy and he IS a nice person face to face...it just doesn't mean I always agree with him or like what he has to say :)

Hey, don't ruin my reputation here...

Let's see, Starbuck's, McDonalds, Dominoes, and Pizza Hut....at least we're importing our healthiest products overseas. I sometimes wonder if Mexico understands what they are really getting here. We're the biggest nation in the world in more ways than one. This is indeed unfortunate news from my selfish perspective. I travel to get away from the mall like atmosphere that surrounds me. This may be just another brick in the wall, but it IS another brick in the wall.

Mark

No arguments there. I don't at all frequent McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc. I WILL be frequenting Starbuck's though...at least until a better option comes along. I'm not into the fluffy mocha latte frappucino with whipped cream 5000 calorie drinks, I just REALLY like the iced coffee there. So from MY selfish perspective, I am REALLY happy to have Starbuck's on the island :)

The only time we do McDonalds is when Mago's girls want it...and that's never more than a couple of times a month...and I don't even always go with them.

We order from Dominos occasionally...but more often order from Pizza Padrino's :) or Sorrissi (the new Italian place next to Pizza Hut) although I haven't had pizza in a LONG time!

It's fun to travel and see the different cultures. I was in Cannes Australia and they had Hungry Jack's, it was an exact clone of Burger King.

I like the scene in Pulp Fiction where he talks about how the McDonald's Big Mac is known as a Hamburger Royale in Paris.

The big chains are everywhere. If there's a market and money to be made they will come.

The secret is to find a place where there is no market. Forty miles inland from Cannes I had a hamburger with red beet and pineapple on it. I didn't ask for it that way, that's just the way they made them. That's the difference between chains and local. It sounds odd but it was a big burger and pretty tasty with the toppings.

I guess I missed it in all of the bantering back and forth but we stay at Casa Mexicana and will be back Nov 30-Dec 4 and while the Banana Cake at Coffee Bean is to die for, a Starbucks is a terrific addition to COZ so... WHERE is the Starbucks... and especially in relation to CM...

Quel A Vaya Bien Mis Amiga Christi...

..............Forty miles inland from Cannes I had a hamburger with red beet and pineapple on it. I didn't ask for it that way, that's just the way they made them. That's the difference between chains and local. It sounds odd but it was a big burger and pretty tasty with the toppings.

it aint a real aussie hamburger unless its got beetroot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont go for the pineapple but a burger with the lot is beef, onionis, lettuce, tomato, either tomato or bbq sauce, pineapple, bacon & egg plus beetroot... yummmmmmmmmmmm

btw, i vaugely remember something in the US called jack in the box.,.... a group of aussies standing around looking at a box and when we opened it we saw they used pancakes for the bread in your version of a burger :l: and no beetroot in sight! :11:

personally im sadden when we find these remote wonderful tropical places and then the tourism comes and then the ex-pat money comes and then everything we love about the place is lost and in the process we change the culture of the locals

next paradise i find im not telling anyone about it and saving it all for myself

enjoy your double latte decaf with a twist of cinnamon..... when you start seeing the cups littering the streets it will mean that the price for Cozumel was way too high

cheers

Many years ago in the UK I passed a place called Wimpy Burger. There were few American fast food places there at that time. I was a bit strapped for cash at that moment and wanted a break from take-away curry and fish and chips. I got a burger and fries. I don't know if those places still exist but man, was it awful. if I recall correctly, I threw most of it in the trash.

There are places in the world, including some of Mexico, where I don't like to see fast food places and other "American" icons. Frankly, from my limited experience to Cozumel thus far, I doubt that we are doing much damage to the indigenous economy or values when such businesses open in Playa or Cozumel. Whatever they once were, these are holiday places, catering to cruise tourists and sun worshipers. Does anyone go to Cozumel for the traditional Mexican culture? It's scuba, sailboarding, cruise ships, shopping for Mexican "handicrafts," drinking, eating and the like. Cozumel is a good place for a Starbucks. I wish I owned it (the Starbucks, not Cozumel).

Enjoy your coffee. I don't suppose there is a nice Irish pub around there anywhere?
edited by Mania

I forgot about the egg on the burger!!

Psst, tropical paradise-Ofu

Whilst I'm not a Starbucks fan (I think their coffee is horrible), it sounds like you gave the other local shops a chance, so good for you and I hope they serve you well :)

Actually, I don't mind their cold drinks...

Z...

I know some of you either don't want to hear it or could care less...but myself and many other islanders are happy little clams now :) It's the one US chain I have missed...just because they are the ONLY place that knows how to make a real iced coffee!

Prices are actually a little lower than in the states too. It's in Punta Langosta for anyone interested. They have all the same drinks as well as pastries, deli sandwiches, and Starbuck's merchandise.

For all of you who have supported and supplied my Starbucks addiction for the last six years...THANK YOU! You're off the hook now :wink:

Please if you can, refrain from the "Why would they open a Starbuck's in Cozumel" comments...you can always skip it...but for those of us who live here, and for those who HAVE to have their Starbuck's...it's a good thing :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom