Standard Dive op. rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot the head. I've worked off 10 boats over here and only 1 had a working head, 3 were certified vessels that had working heads for the Coast Guard inspection only and were immediately removed or disabled after the inspection.

Head or no head could probably be a decent thread in itself.

That surprises me - I've only been on one dive boat that had no head ... the "Rubber Ducky" (14 ft. Zodiak) - lol

Kona still has a fair amount of 6 pack operators, heads are very unusual on those. I've got a porta potti set up in the cabin and it rarely gets used. Every dive site here that isn't a long range charter is within 5-20 minutes of a public restroom except on the worst of days, and I'd rather pull in to a harbor between dives if at all possible when there are non-emergency bathroom issues brewing.

Looking back again, I've actually worked off 7 certified boats over the years, some just helping out for a day now and then, 5 of which had disabled or removed heads. Technically, I think every certified vessel (larger than 6 pack) is required to have a working head, there are a couple companies here that have a porta potti they throw on the boat for inspection purposes, the rest of the time it's back in the shop or buried under lifejackets or other gear on the boat. We've got companies here that have been in business for a couple decades and never/rarely had a working head on their boats. Most of the bigger newer boats have them but I know of two or three 30'+ 12/15 passenger boats that last I heard didn't have working heads. Anyway, that's why a head didn't pop into my mind on my original list.

I'm not against heads at all, if I ever got into a larger boat I'd prefer to get the most user friendly head available as I do think it's a selling point for some people.

Last edited:
another thing to concider with this kind of list,, today I took a group out, 6 divers, first one came out and I asked how the dive was, he said, "it was ok, nothing special", as the other 5 got out they was raving about the white tip shark, the eagle rays, the big eels and tons of fish and turtles, they first guy didn't see any of that, amazing how a group of people can dive together and see or not see lots of the same things, and just think if the person writing the "report" was the guy who didn't see anything, probably wouldn't sound like anyplace most people would want to dive, those in the industry can attest to this time and time again

I could be completely wrong on that. I was talking with one 6 pack operator during their inspection, and the inspector wanted him to have one on his 6 pack boat and but said he'd be fine with a bucket. Back when I worked with one company for a bit, they spent a couple hours to get their toilet working prior to the bi-annual, but it may have been a matter of making sure every obvious valve worked so as not to set off any bells with the inspector. On their other boat, they always had a porta potti - in a box. The one company I worked for 4 years always threw a porta potti on their boats for the inspection, said they were supposed to have one.

It's probably more of an assumption on my part as I don't have to deal with it on my boat so I haven't seen an actual list of things they check off on passenger vessels carrying more than 6 customers. I know there've been boats working here for years, including certified vessels, that didn't have operating heads.

Last edited:
A working head is an important feature for me since I literally cannot pee in my wetsuit, and frankly I don't relish the idea of "going for a swim" in 75 degree water during an SI when I'm trying to warm up.

I have to agree there are far too many personal variables to be able to have some kind of objective rating system. At the end of the day, it's all about finding the operator that matches your desires and needs and enjoying going out with them. My preferred operators are best for ME, and I'll keep returning year after year, trip after trip until the day my needs change or they change what they do.

How can we leverage a mod into trying to set something like this up on the board?

Hey there....We used to have something like that, but lost it one of the revamps. I asked if they are planning to put it back up or not and am now waiting for a reply from our techies :wink:

I agree that rating a dive operator is very subjective.

Some divers only look for the cheapest or best bargain as their criteria. Others want to be pampered and not rushed. Almost all divers want to be able to dive all the air in their tanks and not be limited to 50 minutes max!

My wife and I both worked for several "big" dive operators in Kona and eventually started our own 6 pack charter operation.

The "great reviews" most big dive operators get (some in Undercurrent) are usually prompted by the shops and boats handing out the mail in forms and "suggesting" they write what a good time they had.

The glowing reviews are also tainted by the amount of advertising dollars spent by the dive operators. Basically buying future customers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom