Standard BC vs Backplate and Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A backplate and harness setup has the advantage of truly being one size fits all - it can be adjusted to fit anyone perfectly whereas BCs cant be.

However a BCD is far easier to adjust than a harness. I find it a complete PITA with my harness to adjust from pool (wearing t-shirt) one night for my thick drysuit, winter undergarments sea the next and so on - takes a while and can only be done on land. With a standard type BCD with adjustments this wouldn't be an issue.

If you dont change exposure protection much though the above may not be an issue (or if rich, buy 2 plates).

RetroDiver Jr:
I would like to hear others opinions on this matter, and about your experiences. Your advise is greatly appreciated.
Some general observations about the comments we might give you here on SB. In general, 1) more people who post here express a preference for a back-inflate BC than for a standard BC and 2) more people who post here express a preference for BP/W than for a back-inflate BC. (There are no data available to indicate whether people who post on SB represent a cross-section of the recreational diving 'community', or are part of a smaller, skewed community of space aliens, or an even smaller and more skewed community who regularly speak to Elvis at the mall.) There is not universal agreement, these are merely the numerical patterns. (And, one other point - most who post here dive from a boat, or in a quarry, or from an ocean shore, where they need only to carry gear a short or modest distance before entering the water.) The ‘intensity’ of expressed preference varies according to SB member, and may or may not reflect quality, functionality, cost or value of any particular gear configuration. A few manufacturers post on SB and their advice is valuable. Tobin (‘Coolhardware52’), for example, is in the business, he knows what he is talking about, and he consistently provides intelligent, thoughtful and informative comment, as he has in this thread. Of course, most of us are ideally positioned to give you the, ‘Oooh, oooh, use what I use!!’ response. We generally like what we use, which is why we are using it. Things we don’t like we have already gotten rid of. If we don’t like what we currently use, we generally don’t tell others about it because they, naturally, wonder why we continue to use something we don’t like. Are we an idiot, in which case whatever we say would seem to be useless? We also refer to a ‘simple BP/W’ which is somewhat humorous in a way. The gear may be simple, but there are a remarkable number of choices available, such as: 1. Brand (Dive Rite, Halcyon, Zeagle, OMS, FredT, Frogman Jerry, custom, …); 2. Material (aluminum, stainless steel, ABS / ‘plastic’); 3. Model (standard, long / short, custom made); 4. Harness (simple, complex -which does NOT mean ‘complicated’, rather it is just not ‘simple’, in that different configurations - padding, quick releases, sewn in D-rings, etc - are possible); 5. Wing (brand, lift, style - donut, horseshoe, etc.); 6. Single tank attachment (cam bands only, single tank adapter, etc.). It can be overwhelming, but you have to start somewhere. So, good for you to go with a BP as you initial rig. A Zeagle BP and a deluxe harness – fine. Buying from your LDS, who helps you figure out what you need to start, and how to put it all together - great! (You might reference check prices on-line, just to be comfortable that the value - the price of the gear + the value of the service you receive - is in a reasonable range, so you feel good afterward, then buy from the LDS). If you like the rig, keep it, tweak it, dive it, refine it. If you don’t, post that on SB and try something else. There is NO one true, absolute universal solution for all.

Put 12 dives on a WWII sherwood Rental BC and remember to take one size bigger or smaller.
Then rent a NEW rear inflated Regular BC that fit you OK not perfect but OK.
First thing you will notice you dont feel that air going into the BC ,So go easy with the inflator. Anyway You will end up wanting to buy a Rear inflated reagular BC.
Rent the Old Sherwood a few more times just to make sure you don't like it.
When you dive talk to other More experimented divers about there BC. Try to talk to diver with BP/W setup see what they have to say.Dive with diver with BP/W look at there gear underwater, dive position, control. Slowly you will make up your mind even if you are a noob.

I know You already did the Internet part, but if you did what I stated above we have a similar dive history.

I ended up with a BP/W setup for single tank.

I will never go back

hope it help somebody 8)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom