Standard BC vs Backplate and Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with a Back plate! The best investment you will ever make. Start with a Stainless Steel plate with standard harness 30 lb wing from Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS Etc.. the idea is "minimalism".

Go with a Back plate! The best investment you will ever make. Start with a Stainless Steel plate with standard harness 30 lb wing from Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS Etc.. the idea is "minimalism".

Oooh, Oooh, dive what I dive, dive what I dive!

Do you know this guy? Do you know that a SS plate with a 30 lb wing is the best for him? Do you know that minimalism is what he's going for?

I dive a harness style (I guess you could call it) BC. It is essentially a BP/W with a little padding on the shoulders, which I love because I do hike in it a lot. I'm sure someone else would hate it. I did have a basic BP/W setup at one point and consider it to be the worst money I've ever spent.

So see? Not everyone is head over heals in love with the minimalist BP/W.

To the OP, just take a look at what kind of diving you're going to be doing, what your needs are, and all that good stuff and figure out what is best for you. All you're going to get around here (for the most part) is people telling you to do what they do.

Oh, and P.S. I wouldn't buy any overpriced piece of gear from Halcyon if you held a gun to my head. But again, that's just my opinion.

The real key is that what you use fit you well and be comfortable, and that you are confident and proficient in using it. Each type of buoyancy device has its advantages and disadvantages. I tried to list some of both for the BP/W system.

I do have to say that I have hiked over a quarter mile in my singles rig (with a 3 mil wetsuit) and found it as comfortable as any other way of suspending 35 pounds from my back.

I do have to say that I have hiked over a quarter mile in my singles rig (with a 3 mil wetsuit) and found it as comfortable as any other way of suspending 35 pounds from my back.

I should have probably been more specific in my post. When I say hike, I don't mean walking a quarter mile down a path. I'm talking about hiking sometimes for miles on some pretty rough terrain carrying sometimes a lot more than 35 pounds.

But I'm pretty sure there aren't a whole lot of idiots like me out there which is why I suggested doing what is comfortable to the individual, not what a bunch of people on the internet tell you to do. :D

Being a rec diver, I would only be using a single cylinder, but I liked the fit, and the advantage of a SS backplate adding weight (I use very little as is); and would have to add very little extra to a belt or pouches.
I just noticed ScubaToys has a new product. It is an adapter for a BP and single tank.

Single Tank Band - Backplate Adapter

Hope this helps.

ive been diving a zealge tech (rear wing) for nearly 10yrs and very very happy but last year i started diving in a bpw and i love it

just my 2cents.....

I did the exact same thing with the exact same result. I used a Zeagle Tech for six years before transitioning to the OMS BPW. So glad I made the switch.

I bought my Halcyon SS plate and Eclipse during OW class and started wearing it on the first dive after the check-out dives. It is still the best piece of gear I have(although since then I've found that Oxycheq is nice too).

Retrodiver jr.,
Last year I think I was were you are now. I had a simple vest style BC that I did not kile the fit. I researched both vests and BP/W and went with with the Bp/W. I had about 25 dives in at the time. I still dive primarily single tank, but thinking about doubles. Why double is because I like shipwrecks and live close to the great lakes so more tech style diving would give me more time and access to more wrecks. So this made going with a more modular BCD a better choice hence the BP/W. You can make several changes to a Bp/W configuration while keeping the harness and plate the same. You can if you wish add pockets for weight and or items if you wish. That is a whole other discussion all together. I also liked the way way it fit. I did not try a lot of other vests, but the BP/w was adjustable to my exact fit another plus. It does take some work putting it together, but once it's set it is what YOU want. Should I continue with more tech style training, I remove the single tank adapter (which will put more weight on back, but also is another expense) and can put on doubles, which is a greater expense. Price wise I don't think there is a huge difference between the two styles vest and BP/W. This is why I went that route. The as has been said, the first question you should ask is ,Where am I going with this? Then you go on from there. As long as you like it, you are familiar with it, you keep it in good condition and it works, who cares it's your stuff. That' my opinion

What Borg lady said.

Thank you everyone for your info. It sounds like the majority of divers who have used both prefer the BP/W setup. My LDS is offering a pretty good deal on a Zeagle SS BP, Deluxe Harness, single cylinder ready, and Ranger Wing. I am seriously considering this purchase; does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom