Standard BC vs Backplate and Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No experience with the particular setup, but most people who start with a complex harness end up jettisoning it and going with a simple Hog rig.

which is why I suggested doing what is comfortable to the individual, not what a bunch of people on the internet tell you to do. :D

hey, that's really smart of you not to do what a bunch of people on the internet tell you to do ... who would have thought of it?

i'm very impressed with your acumen and lucidity of thought!

:D

When I say hike, I don't mean walking a quarter mile down a path. I'm talking about hiking sometimes for miles on some pretty rough terrain carrying sometimes a lot more than 35 pounds.

so how often do you go hiking for miles on rough terrain in full scuba gear?

is this a new sport or something? do tell!

(i am assuming you dont' wear fins, right?)

I am new to this forum, and didn't find an answer to this question.

I am a rec diver, who is in need of a new BC.
Deciding on a back inflate, I had the Oceanic Excursion in mind.
However, I was over at one of my instructor's place (who is also a tec diver), and tried on his DiveRite TransPlate with 2 Steel 80s.
This was a tad heavy being a little guy, but it seemed to fit nice.
Being a rec diver, I would only be using a single cylinder, but I liked the fit, and the advantage of a SS backplate adding weight (I use very little as is); and would have to add very little extra to a belt or pouches.

I would like to hear others opinions on this matter, and about your experiences.
Your advise is greatly appreciated.

RDJ

Like you. I am a rec diver using single tanks (AL80s). I dive in tropical waters mostly. I have no doubt that, even for this type of plain vanilla diving, a BP/W is superior to a traditional BC. The BP distributes your weighting requirement (or a good part of it) across your back evenly and enhances your trim. Getting rid of the weights clustered at your waist is a real advantage. Second, you can with a BP/W dispense with the wing in appropriate conditions and dive "minimalist". If you are not wearing weights, a wetsuit, or a wing, you are getting close to the exhilerating freedom of free-diving. For tropical diving, nothing can beat that!

<< so how often do you go hiking for miles on rough terrain in full scuba gear?

(i am assuming you dont' wear fins, right?) >>

LOL! Have you seen the new fins which fold upwards while on your feet, enabling you to walk for, Oh, miles on rough terrain? A freind of mine wears them in his LDS while serving customers. :D

I could walk for miles and miles in my BP. I could walk through the tunnel from NY to NJ (The Garden State) then walk through the scenic and historic Shenandoah Valley down to visit my folks in NC. After a couple of days of food and rest, I could set out for Missouri and maybe jump in a spring then head out through the scenic Ozarks toward The Blue Hole in NM. After that I could walk, in my BP, to Santa Fe or Bizbee and maybe work in the copper mines for a few years. After that...........................

so how often do you go hiking for miles on rough terrain in full scuba gear?

(i am assuming you dont' wear fins, right?)

Well, if I told you the wheres and hows of it, I wouldn't have my secret diving spots anymore, would I? :D

No, some of the work I do periodically requires that I dive in locations that can't be reached by car, either because of terrain or because I'm not allowed to drive off road in those areas. I've tried cramming gear into a large backpack, it just doesn't work out. So what I will end up doing is wearing the BC/tank(s) and putting all of my other gear (scuba and otherwise) in a pack and wear it on my chest. I've done this with a BP/W and it was quite possibly the most miserable experience ever. It starts out comfortable, but you would be amazed at how quickly it starts to go downhill. So, that leaves me where I am now, wearing a harness that has just a slight amount of padding on the shoulders, just enough to keep me somewhat happy in my moronic adventures. :D

Oh, and the fins get strapped to the pack.

These threads are a hoot.

People say bp/w's are streamlined - then they add "so we put pockets on our wet/dry suits and/or attach pockets to the webbing" and "you can use weight pockets or the Halcyon ACB system to mimic integrated weights."

So how streamlined is the bp/w after all that stuff is added??? I guess it all means you can have a streamlined bcd but the diver may not be streamlined.

It was also interesting (funny actually) to read that any harness not considered a HOG harness is a complex harness. A little padding maybe and a quick release makes it complex???

BP/W's are okay but God's Gift to Diving, they are not.

Edit: Retro - you wrote; "It sounds like the majority of divers who have used both prefer the BP/W setup." I'd say the majority of those who have used both and prefer the bp/w have been heard from already. So by most measures that would not be very many people.

I'd say the majority of those who have used both and prefer the bp/w have been heard from already.

I dunno about that.

Well, if I told you the wheres and hows of it, I wouldn't have my secret diving spots anymore, would I? :D

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom