Stainless Backplates in your carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tfast78

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure I would have read on here if there was a problem with it but figured I'd ask just to see.
Has anyone had an issue carrying on a backplate wing setup?
I'm flying to Utila and want to bring my BP/W with the STA attached.

I saw the TSA regulations and I know people carry on jacket style BC's with no problems.

Last edited:
They will search your carry-on. The X-rays don't penetrate the BP. Best thing to do is take it out of the carry-on, then it won't be a problem (TSA who is also a diver told me this when I was going thru).

Last time I flew with mine was in 2010 to Puerto Rico. They opened and inspected but had no problem with it. I did have it all rigged with the harness and cam bands.

I flew with a fully rigged bp/w and other dive gear in my carry-on a couple of months ago. The wanted a closer look, so it took a few minutes longer to have them do their thing then repack. But really no major problem.

I would be careful flying international. I lost a camera tripod in italy flying home because they thought I could club someone with it. Never mind that I am 2 meters tall and could do more damage with my shoe. They probably would have *%#* themselves at the thought of a 6 lb metal plate. :). US TSA had no problem only way out.

Make sure to check rules in the country you will be flying back *from*

I recently flew United with a full backplate rig, regs and other bits and had no problems. I did have to open it for a quick search but I expected that. The x ray guy was even a diver as he asked me about my "technical" gear.

I always carry mine on, never any problems...

I carried my AL plate, SS STA, back and forth between SFO, Hongkong, Shanghai, Phuket a few times with no issue. I guess from TSA point of view, SS vs AL doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom