Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler or Akona <10 lbs. Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I bought the Jamaican Smuggler, and really love it. I am only 5' 7, so the pull handle is perfect for me. I have no desire for backpack straps, so it gets no ding from me on that end. (I pack a mesh backpack for bringing gear to the boat) The only 'hit' the bag took on my trip to Hawaii was that a snap from the grab- handle broke off, so I can't fully close the grab handle. Guess we'll see how good their warranty really is.

that a snap from the grab- handle broke off, so I can't fully close the grab handle. Guess we'll see how good their warranty really is.

It may be cheaper to go to a local bag/bag repair shop and have a new snap put in. Just a thought.

Although I'm certain that Stahlsac would take care of you also.

Henrik

Good idea. Since I have to pay to ship it to them for repair, it may indeed be cheaper and faster to go that route. When I get back from my trip, I am first going to see if my LDS (whom I just bought it from) might help me out.

It may be cheaper to go to a local bag/bag repair shop and have a new snap put in. Just a thought.

Although I'm certain that Stahlsac would take care of you also.

Henrik

Gerald,

I just read your review for your Stahlsac bag. That is the one I was considering buying for my husband. He is a beginner diver and has never had a bag, so we have no clue which one will be best. Do you recommend I get him a mesh bag as well? Can you please recommend one?
He is 6'1. I do hope the handle works for him.

Thanks!

I've been very happy with the bag. I can agree with most of Gerald's comments, except the handle length issue, as I am only 5' 7". This is a great bag that can hold a ton of stuff.

To ScubaWifey, this a great bag to travel with. But it is also really useful to have a mesh backpack type bag as well. Better for bringing gear on to the boat and such.

Gerald,

I just read your review for your Stahlsac bag. That is the one I was considering buying for my husband. He is a beginner diver and has never had a bag, so we have no clue which one will be best. Do you recommend I get him a mesh bag as well? Can you please recommend one?

Thanks!

Do you recommend I get him a mesh bag as well? Can you please recommend one?

Thanks!
Hi ScubaWifey: For diving local all I use is my mesh bag, so I would recommend a mesh bag regardless of what travel bag I purchased. I started out with a simple mesh duffle from my local dive shop, but now I have an Akona AKB134 mesh backpack that I really like. The fact that it's a backpack means that it is a lot easier to carry vs just a mesh duffle.

For travelling on an airplane weight is a key factor nowadays for checked luggage, and the Stahlsac Jaican Smuggler is far better than most gear travel bags in this area, weighing in at about 7-8 lbs. You can get away with bringing your Stahlsac on a charter boat or on your shore dive, but that's where you'll want your mesh duffle or mesh backpack as it's less bulky, easier to stow, and easier to clean.

The handle was for me just a minor annoyance, and I drug it all over several airports without any real problems.

Jerry

for the record, the Smuggler, according to Stahlsac's web site, is 9.4 lbs: "DIMENSIONS: 27" x 18" x 15"
CAPACITY: 6480 Cu. Inches
COLOR: Black
WEIGHT: 9.4 Lbs."
I have the Akona bag. I "trusted" my LDS...ok ok I know. I've paid for that in several ways already. The weight of the Akona bag is fantastic. It does stand on it's own. the handle length is nice (I'm only 5'11") though it doesn't feel *super* sturdy. The fabric appears to be ready to tear at any time. In fact, it did during first use. My LDS exchanged it but I have heard about it 4 times - each time I go in there - about how the airplane folks were extra careless, etc. I've used it again and it survived but frankly I'm not sure I want to worry about it on every single trip. I found myself immediately checking for tears. This may be only my experience. The bag is light and very functional. My large ScubaPro Twin Jet Max fins don't fit in the wing pockets but this would be the perfect bag if it did. It holds a LOT of gear. It's easy to wheel around (wide wheel-base). I travel extensively for work (>100K miles/year) so have used a lot of bags over the years but this is my first traveling gear bag (I'm fairly new to diving). I don't pay fees for bags because of my travel so that wasn't my biggest concern but so far I've come in with all my gear and gadgets < 50 lbs (no fees for less frequent travels <50).

now about the mesh bag..yes yes yes please have one. they're inexpensive and will be used heavily. I wish I got a backpack as the gear does get heavy but agreed, they're not used to check in gear on flights.

this has been quiet for a while but in case anyone runs across this, I have an update about my Akona <10 bag. I've used it for 6 trips. It tore on my first trip. I exchanged it. I've since had a broken zipper and the fabric is tearing again, not even at the seams. There are some here that say that the fabric seems to be somewhat thin. It is. It does not wear well. I'm very disappointed that after only 6 trips I've had 2 of the same bag and both are duds. I don't even think Akona is going to replace this one nor am I sure I even want another. I agree about the internal compression straps and the flimsy feel of the handle, though I've had no problem with it yet.

I got back Saturday... I was able to load my complete set of gear plus my wifes snorkel gear (3-5-3 wetsuit, BCD, camera housing, rashguard, snorkel vest, 2 sets of mask/snorkel/fins) with room to spare. I hand-carried my regulators and computer. I loaded it up to close to 60 pounds.

Things I liked about it:thumbs_up:
  • compression straps inside and out
  • Huge main compartment
  • 2nd compartment available on top (possibly big enough for regulators)
  • zip-up mesh compartment inside on flap
  • wheels tracked decently when rolled through airport
  • optional duffle handle
  • grab handle on both ends

Things I wasn't as impressed with :thumbs_down:
  • Pull handle seemed a little little short (I'm 6'2)
  • Pull handle seemed a little flimsy when the bag was really loaded
  • grab handle on top was too thin... it hurt my hand to lift
  • wish it had backpack straps

I felt the bag was too big and awkward to take out on the small dive boat with me, so I brought a smaller mesh dive bag for that purpose. I didn't view that as a negative.

p.s. October 2008 issue of ScubaDiving magazine has a review on a dozen or more dive bags. They had some nice things to say about the Stahlsac.
What mesh bag did you buy to go with the Smuggler?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom