Staghorn Coral in Broward County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I just got this press release from the FDEP and thought I would pass it along. I've seen staghorn coral off of the Oakland Park beach as well as at LbtS. Anyone have any good pics or stories?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 26, 2009
CONTACT: Cristina Llorens (561) 681-6605 or (561) 561 248 0830
Amy Graham (850) 245-2112 or (850) 778-7258 (cell)

THREATENED CORAL THRIVING OFF THE COAST OF FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH
~DEP partners with local and federal agencies and scientists to demonstrate how staghorn coral is thriving in southeast Florida~~

Fort Lauderdale Beach –The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) Coral Reef Conservation Program (CRCP), the Broward County Environmental Protection and Growth Management Department (EPGMD), the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Coral Reef Institute (NCRI) announced today that staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis), a federally designated threatened coral species, is thriving off the coast of Broward County.

“There has been a steady decline of staghorn coral throughout the Florida Keys and the Caribbean,” said Lee Edmiston, Office of Coastal and Aquatic Managed Areas (CAMA) Director. “So we are very fortunate to have one of the largest and healthiest remaining staghorn coral stands in Florida, right off of the beaches of Fort Lauderdale.”

Since the late 1970s, staghorn and elkhorn (A. palmata) coral populations have declined up to 97 percent in the Florida Keys, Dry Tortugas, Belize, Jamaica and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Researchers identified poor water quality and white-band disease as the primary causes for this large-scale decline. This unprecedented loss led to the listing of both species as threatened under the U.S. Endangered Species Act (ESA) in 2006. The increased awareness generated by the ESA listing has resulted in more divers taking note of colonies they see and reporting them to scientists and resource protection agencies.

Today’s tour follows the recent enactment of the Coral Reef Protection Act, which went into effect on July 1, 2009. Passed during the 2009 Florida legislative session, the law increases protection of Florida’s vulnerable coral reefs by raising awareness of damages associated with vessel groundings and anchoring on coral reefs off the coasts of Broward, Martin, Miami-Dade, Monroe and Palm Beach counties. The law also authorizes civil penalties for the destruction of coral reefs and provides for efficient repair and mitigation of reef injuries.

“The persistence of such a large and healthy stand of staghorn coral off Broward County and the incredible assortment of marine life it supports is a testament to the biological value of southeast Florida’s reefs,” said Christopher Boykin with DEP’s Coral Reef Conservation Program. “However, as the only known example of its kind in our region, this staghorn coral reef is also vulnerable to impacts from land-based sources of pollution, coastal development and climate change; underscoring the importance of doing everything we can to protect it.”

While local, state and federal agencies are working together to protect Florida’s coral reefs, residents and visitors alike can also help by implementing four simple tips:
1. Minimize the use of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides which can contaminate groundwater and enter coastal waterways.
2. Dispose of household chemicals at designated hazardous waste facilities, which can be harmful to the environment if disposed of improperly.
3. Anchor boats in the sand or tie them up to mooring buoys to minimize damage to coral reefs.
4. Practice proper weighting and buoyancy when scuba diving, as having neutral buoyancy when diving prevents divers from being too close to fragile coral and prevents reef damage.

DEP protects the Florida Reef Tract through the work of the Coral Reef Conservation Program, the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and several state parks. DEP’s Coral Reef Conservation Program, housed within CAMA, was established in 2004. CAMA also manages Florida’s three National Estuarine Research Reserves and 41 Aquatic Preserves. CAMA’s programs and activities are designed to protect Florida’s most sensitive aquatic resources and help Floridians better understand and conserve these resources through research, education and preservation.

For more information on DEP’s Coral Reef Conservation Program, visit Florida DEP | CAMA | Coral Reef Conservation Program

For more information on DEP’s Office of Coastal and Aquatic Managed Areas, visit Coastal and Aquatic Managed Areas (CAMA) | Florida DEP

There is also some in Dania and Hollywood.

It's funny, Dry Tortugas has been loaded with it for couple of years, but nobody from the state seems interested....

Recall a lot of dead, broken worn staghorn off the north end of the Ft. Lauderdale public beach between the first and second reefs in the early 1970s. They weren't really accreted together suggesting the die off hadn't happened all that distantly in the past. Perhaps hurricane related, Cleo in 1964? You would see fairly small, isolated colonies scattered in this area. You can see evidence of Elkhorn in parts of the second and third reef terraces. Real old stuff though, perhaps on the order of 10,000 BP or more by some accounts. Sea levels change as do bottom communities. Not so sure about things this time around.

More recently I've seen larger fairly healthy colonies in this same area. Thought a couple of years ago that staghorn might be coming back in this area. Looks like it is official now.

RE: the Tortugas, haven't been back there for decades. At that time there were square miles of staghorn in about 5 ft. of water around the keys there. Very healthy and extremely abundant. Is that still the case unlike much of the rest of the Keys? If so, that is unexpected but very welcome news.

I have some photos from the reef by my apartment. I'll try to find them. Specifically - the coral is located directly east from the Ocean Manor Hotel (half way between Oakland Park and Commercial), in about 15 feet of water.

I regularly dive off the beach in Pompano (just north of LBTS). I found this picture. Its not the best but I never claimed to be a professional photographer. I just started taking UW pictures, cut me some slack:D

There is tons of it off N.E. 16th Street and A1A, north end of Ft. Lauderdale beach. I don't have any pictures right now.. but will get some and post them for you. :D

Here is some we saw snorkeling at LbtS las year. I think we were around Hibiscus or even further south.

Hey if you are interested in helping to propogate Staghorn Coral come join us on our next coral reef restoration dive, in Key Largo, scheduled for October 27-29. We work with the Coral Reef Foundation and help to grow corals in a nursery, then actually transplant them on the reef in the Key Largo area. Great education, great cause, come join us!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom