stage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
I will admit I tend not to bash the crap out my gear while penetrating wrecks which is why I guess I don't flood them....yes even in salt water.
Even flooding them is not that big of a deal. Stages/deco bottles like to depressurize while scootering, its not the end of the world. Might mean you will have to clean a reg after the dive, but thats way better than losing all your gas.

Scuba_Steve:
It seems to me instead of this half-pregnant approach could be easily fixed by doing a quick roll-on-roll-off approach every few minutes as a part of regular diving activities.(you don't even have to look at the bottles to do it either) If you do want to look, great, you'll see you need it recharged or you don't.

Very simple, and takes nothing away from the dive, infact it becomes part of the program before you know it and you don't even consciously know you're doing it. It is SOP with our divers.

I am with Steve on this....this is my SOP 'during' the dive for my deco bottles.

JeffG:
Even flooding them is not that big of a deal. Stages/deco bottles like to depressurize while scootering, its not the end of the world. Might mean you will have to clean a reg after the dive, but thats way better than losing all your gas.

Exactly bud.

One way leaves the potential to lose your gas and have a bad day underwater, the other way leaves one possibly having to service the regs a little more often....a complete no brainer.

This takes the most error prone piece of kit out of the equation during the dive....(the diver)......toss me the $5.oo repair kit.

Don_Rickles:
Reefraff, I assume you never look or check your bottles after you hit the water.

Why lead with an insult? Arrogant smugness may endear you to the cyberdivers but doesn't facilitate conversation.​

It seems to me instead of this half-pregnant approach could be easily fixed by doing a quick roll-on-roll-off approach every few minutes as a part of regular diving activities.(you don't even have to look at the bottles to do it either) If you do want to look, great, you'll see you need it recharged or you don't.

Again, with the insults. However, you've acknowledged, as have others, that depressurization occurs. Unlike some, you have tacitly acknowledged that this is a potential problem and that you are taking steps to correct the situation. You're doing a rote roll-on, roll-off - not the solution I've found works best for me but you're still addressing the same concern. Maybe that's something we could talk about - I already know how thick my stream is and how short a distance it would have to go to wet your shoes.​

Very simple, and takes nothing away from the dive, infact it becomes part of the program before you know it and you don't even consciously know you're doing it. It is SOP with our divers.

If you bump it, it's the same as any valve or piece of gear - check it.

Checking your gauges can be difficult to do if you're in the middle of a restriction or otherwise task loaded - the most likely time that the system will be accidentally purged. Roll-on, roll-off is only effective if you're doing it often enough to catch water before it enters the first stage. How often do you mindlessly do this during your dives?​

What you don't want to get into is the idea that leaving anything half-way, part way, whatever, is anything other than a cludge where none is needed.

More than anything, your caveat regarding half-way efforts should include solutions, which is exactly what I've found roll-on, roll-off to be - a half-way solution to the problem. Better than nothing? Yes. Good enough? No.​

I'm sure the first time you forget to shut off a bottle when you're dropping it and it runs off will be the last time you do it that way. I'd rather someone just use a safer approach than learn the hard way where your only inwater concern is the loss of the gas.

In reverse order, loss of gas isn't the "only inwater concern" - the potential for a free-flow is real, too, as you have indicated. Aside from the loss of gas that can represent, it also adds to the task-loading and disrupts the protocols. Second, and to repeat what I've said twice before, when dropping a bottle, the system should be charged and the valve off. Carefully staging the dropped bottle should make an accidental purge nearly impossible and leaving the valve open, even partially, in this situation isn't worth the risk.​

It really doesn't matter if it hasn't happened to you yet either.

I will admit I tend not to bash the crap out my gear while penetrating wrecks which is why I guess I don't flood them....yes even in salt water.

Dropping them down a couple decks? Whatever are you doing dude?

Diving wrecks - you know, something bigger and deeper than a jonboat in a quarry. Sheesh. I wasn't talking about dropping the bottles down a couple of decks, I was talking about the increased likelihood of flooding that comes from an increase in depth with a purged system. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'll skip the cheap parting shot in hope of a kinder, gentler world. :D

reefraff:
I'll skip the cheap parting shot in hope of a kinder, gentler world. :D
You have amazingly thin skin or is it that you do not like your "procedures" questioned?

wallacm:
I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we got onto the subject about turning the air off of your stage bottle when you drop it. I said to keep it on, but his rebuttle was what if there was a small leak that went unnoticed, and when you arrived back at your stage it was empty.

It got me thinking, anyways was wondering what yall's thoughts were.
Although "on or off" is important, it's also important to be able to get to the gas.

By "drop" I assume you mean hang it off the boat, or leave it somewhere you can find it, however if conditions change or you lose the boat, you could easily find yourself with a deco obligation and no gas to handle it with.

Although YMMV, if I'm not carrying it, I don't count on it.

Terry

The OP is in Tampa, so I think a few of us automatically answered in reference to cave diving. I know I did. In a cave, stage bottles get dropped. Unless you're doing a transverse, there's only one way out, so you'll find your bottle. Good point made by a few in regards to open water. The stage bottle stays with so you know it's there. In that case, I also do the occasional charge during the dive like Steve. I actually never thought about it. It's just a habit I picked up for no particular reason.

Dive-aholic:
The OP is in Tampa, so I think a few of us automatically answered in reference to cave diving. I know I did. In a cave, stage bottles get dropped. Unless you're doing a transverse, there's only one way out, so you'll find your bottle. Good point made by a few in regards to open water. The stage bottle stays with so you know it's there. In that case, I also do the occasional charge during the dive like Steve. I actually never thought about it. It's just a habit I picked up for no particular reason.

Sorry, I don't do caves.

I was thinking wrecks in high current, where you could be hugely boned if you got blown off the wreck with a deco obligation and the tanks were hanging off a boat that you couldn't get to.

I guess if your deco tanks are at the mouth of the cave and you can't get to them, you've got bigger problems than being bent. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
Sorry, I don't do caves.

I was thinking wrecks in high current, where you could be hugely boned if you got blown off the wreck with a deco obligation and the tanks were hanging off a boat that you couldn't get to.

I agree. On wrecks, my bottles stay with me.

I guess if your deco tanks are at the mouth of the cave and you can't get to them, you've got bigger problems than being bent. :cool:

Terry

True, but in caves stage diving involves more penetration more so than deco. The stage bottles are dropped along the way.

Breathe the stage down 1/3, clip it off, go to back gas. Turn dive on 1/3s, head back to stage bottle, pick up and switch back, head to entrance/exit to deco bottles. So finding your bottle can even be a problem if you leave it charged and it drained because you still have a ways to go before you get to your deco bottle!

Web Monkey:
Although "on or off" is important, it's also important to be able to get to the gas.

By "drop" I assume you mean hang it off the boat, or leave it somewhere you can find it, however if conditions change or you lose the boat, you could easily find yourself with a deco obligation and no gas to handle it with.

Although YMMV, if I'm not carrying it, I don't count on it.

Terry

Terry I think the OP is refering to stage bottles not deco gas bottles......I don't do caves.....so my 'deco' bottles go were I go no matter!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom