Stage Bottle valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DIN or Yolk?

Why?

Seems to me DIN would pretty much be standard (if you were going to go that way at all), but I keep seeing pictures of stage bottles with yolks on them. 'Sup with that?

saying:
DIN or Yolk?

Why?

Seems to me DIN would pretty much be standard (if you were going to go that way at all), but I keep seeing pictures of stage bottles with yolks on them. 'Sup with that?

DIN is preferred. However you will see some with yoke mounts as well.

I use all DIN on deco bottles. However, for some cave explorers who have spare bottles stashed in the caves (WKPP) they use yoke connections. The reason for that is because it is easier to switch the reg as a yoke than a DIN. (The reason why they switch the reg is because the reg that stays in the water all the time with the bottle may get some funk growing in it and you dont want to breath off of it).

BTW, this was covered either here, or on the Deco Stop before, and that was the response from one of the WKPP members as to why they use yoke...

LUBOLD8431:
I use all DIN on deco bottles. However, for some cave explorers who have spare bottles stashed in the caves (WKPP) they use yoke connections. The reason for that is because it is easier to switch the reg as a yoke than a DIN. (The reason why they switch the reg is because the reg that stays in the water all the time with the bottle may get some funk growing in it and you dont want to breath off of it).QUOTE]

I thought it was REALLY bad to get water in the first stage of a reg?
do they change tanks and regs under water???
please forgive me if this is a stupid question as I have almost as much cave diving experience as most people have astronaut training.....

Well, hopefully Chickdiver will see this and chime in, because I am just reiterating what she said in a previous post.

But, yes, they do change regs underwater. Its not too bad for them, as long as its fresh water. Before you breath off of them, you just blow the water out.

Piston first stages are typically a little more forgiving of such activities. You must also remember that such exploration level dives are conducted with the premise that gear will receive proper care both before and following the dives.

I still use yoke on my deco bottles, but am planning on switching before summer. DIN is such a superior system that I can't keep my regs yoke simply for the slim chance that I will need to transfer regs underwater. I've yet to do it one time, so DIN is getting my nod of approval.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom