Stage bottle: SPG rigging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could someone post an image or quick description of how best to rig the stage SPG to double-back on the 6" hose? I don't know if it matters, but this will with the small Scubapro spg on a MK20/25.

Thanks.

Put the swivel to the left of the diver (by the valve knob)
Fold the hose either behind or in front of the body of the reg.
Example pic with gauge behind
dst_on_30.jpg

I prefer to use 3/16" or so bungie, cave line likes to get stuck behind the handwheel.
The bungie goes around the HP hose swivel, around the base of the HP hose, and then around the plastic spacer between the handwheel and the reg body. You can see the cave line in the pic of the DST. The mk20 is setup in the same orientation. It takes a few tries to get the length/tension just right. You want it snug so when the hose gets pressurized it stays in basically the same spot.

Could someone post an image or quick description of how best to rig the stage SPG to double-back on the 6" hose? I don't know if it matters, but this will with the small Scubapro spg on a MK20/25.

Thanks.

David Rhea was adamant about using cave line. He didn't like anything with stretch.

David Rhea was adamant about using cave line. He didn't like anything with stretch.

Just tried it with both - I like it with cave line better as well, it's easier to keep the gauge immobile while charging (but this hose I got is leaking at the swage fitting, grr).

Nobody seems to talk about the stage SPG much, but this is perhaps the one piece of DIR gear where I've seen a large degree of variability. SPG over/behind the first stage? Tied with bungee, zipties, cave line? Tie just the hose? Loop around the first stage body or spg face? Maybe it just doesn't matter much, but apparently some people do care :)

There is some degree of variability. Here's how DIR stages look like in our local MoCal waters:

monterey_stages.jpg

Since I have MK20/G250 for my stages, I've included pictures of my set-up using 1/4" thick bungee. Not much flex in the system, and I can store my 6" hose straight.

stage_spg_dir.jpg

stage_spg_dir_2.jpg

stage_spg_dir_3.jpg

This is why you should NOT just sign up for a GUE class (or any scuba class for that matter) on the assumption that all instructors are the same and super high quality yada yada. The thicker bungie works great and keeps the line out of the groove between the handwheel and the reg body. Past GUE instructors have agreed with me and current ones have been willing to let me rig my regs as I see fit.

This "adamant" kind of attitude drives me nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom