stabilizing yourself for a shot/ photography ettiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new at UW photography and I would like to clarify what are the acceptable ways for stabilizing yourself for a shot. I guess hovering using breathing techniques is ideal but this is sometimes difficult especially when shooting macro or in a current. Touching the reef is often prohibited but is it aceptable to touch or kneel on the sand? I also see other divers using a retractable rod or pointer to steady themselves. Is this ok?

Lastly, when you are in a group and a guide points out something interesting, should you go first or last?

Would also appreciate other tips on UW photo etiquette.

Thanks in advance!

Kneeling in the sand hasn't helped me. Actually it has made things more complex when you feel like loosing balance. When hovering is way better way than kneeling in the sand. For example you don't stirr the bottom when hovering. For my macros I usually try to balance my camera against a rock or pinch a rock with two fingers to balance myself. That is if I'm facing a current.

I usually go last when guide shows the group something. That way I can spend most time on that subject not having to think that others would like to see the subject aswell.

Most importantly don't rush into things like you own them. There are far too many photographers that do that. Take it slow and wait for your turn. When everyone has already seen the critter or what ever you can try to peek a bit closer for a better macro :) If it gets scared and vanishes everyone has seen it already.

When it comes to moving subjects to better positions it's a big no no for me at least. Actually there was a thread about touching things somewhere here.

Bottom line is (for me atleast) master your diving and you will get that much better photos.

If in a current, I typically position myself directly head in the current so that I can fin forward and hold position, then use breathing control to move up and down as necessary. Often times if I have to drop down for a shot, I'll exhale to get down and then hold position, take my shot(s) and then inhale to come back out to exit my position. I don't hold on to anything as I always have both hands on my camera to steady and control it. And I really need both hands on it otherwise it's going to get out of position pretty easily.

My overriding rule is to protect the creatures we are so fascinated by. To me this means: 1. Never move anything to get a shot; this includes moving fans, rocks, etc out of the way. 2. In a current if I cannot hold position at most with one finger, on dead rock, then I forego the shot.

As for kneeling on sand or dead rock I really try to avoid in. Especially with sand you typically just stir it up and it ruins your macro shot. I am not comfortable with "pointers" mainly because I have seen photographers use them more as "critter movers" to get the "perfect shot". If a guide finds some creature I will wait to be last. Often it's best to remember the location and come back to it several minutes after everyone has looked at it.

I would add that having a very competent reverse kick is an essential tool. While it doesn't help in strong current, it will in other conditions.

Learn to hover via bouyancy control. That, and a good repertoire of fin kicks as said by OE2X, will get you through 90% of situations.

As for the extra 10%, if it's not alive or fragile, I'll use it. Go ahead and grab that rock spur between thumb and forefinger, or rest your fin tips in the sand. I use sand areas all the time to dump equipment.

All the best, James

Interesting questions, and ones I've been dealing with the last week.

I usually dive in Monterey, so I can kind of settle where I want and pretty much touch what I want because the life here is very hardy, and we don't have coral reefs. I don't rearrange critters, but putting my hand down or sitting on a rock not covered with anemones isn't going to really hurt anything.

This last week I was in Dumaguete dealing with coral reefs consisting of fragile organisms, and being very careful of the staghorn coral, big fans, step corals, and barrel sponges.

By the end of the week, I'd done more for my buoyancy than I have in over a year in Monterey. I mean, my buoyancy was fine when I was paying attention, but not quite intrinsic yet, and after one week, I feel like it is.

For stabilizing myself, if there was a coral head surrounded by sand, I would go with (carefully) kneeling in the sand to stabilize for the picture. We weren't allowed to use gloves, so I used the "one finger" approach with quite a lot of success. You find an exposed or dead area and place one finger against it to stabilize. This is far more successful without gloves because you are going to be VERY conscious of where you're putting your hand.

I saw some people using pokers that look like sawed off golf clubs. They used them pretty well, looked for a good stabilizing place, locked in with it, and took pictures. The primary bonus they seemed to have against the one finger technique is they could anchor themselves against current still only using a "one finger" coverage, where to get something on the current side with me, I would have either had to HANG on, or take it as I sailed by. I opted for the latter.

For current dives, I discovered that scoping out your subject in advance, and flipping to take the picture between your legs as you go by, often upside down, works quite well while avoiding breaking anything.

Ishie:
...For current dives, I discovered that scoping out your subject in advance, and flipping to take the picture between your legs as you go by, often upside down, works quite well while avoiding breaking anything.
Now I would like to take a picture of that :D.

Thanks everyone, for all the useful suggestions. The great thing about learning photography is that it forces you to be a better and more thoughtful diver (as long as you have your priorities right).

I wish someone could post a clip of the reverse finning because it seems like a very useful technique. Ishie, I can't imagine how you do your acrobatic photography but it seems to work very well. Your Dumaguete pics were so inspiring!

You've gotten some great tips so far. I'll just add a bit about sand as it's a rare dive I don't settle on the sand for at least some shots. Many of our dive sites have areas that are ledges surrounded by sand and to get what's under those ledges you have to get down.

The trick is control. Nice and easy settle on the sand - don't land! Settle away from where you want to be and ease up slowly...I use my elbows or the tips of my fingers to reduce how much sand is stirred up. And then you need to wait for a few beats to let any residual sand "blow" away or settle down again.

And NO danglies - ever!

We also have areas that are the finest silt. A fin stroke from 3 or 4 feet above will kick it up and this stuff takes ages to settle down again. I use a frog type kick in these areas and keep my knees bent so my feet are up. This allows me to hover right over the silt and not stir it up and/or to settle gently onto my fingertips, get still, move into position and settle in.

Leaving is as important as getting there. The least impact is by putting my fingertips down with one hand (the other is holding the camera, of course), taking a bigger breath and easing off. Once I know I am free of the sand or silt I give a little push with those fingers and glide away. Until I am clear I do not fin. It takes some practice but I wouldn't be able to get in the places I want to be without these techniques!

Getting comfortable in all manner of positions, upside down, sideways etc, is essential. Some may find a new reg is in order as some don't do as well as others in some aspects. Being able to contort a bit will help you avoid things you can't/don't want to touch, will help you create new angles and will help you get shots of those creatures that just simply aren't out posing!

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom