St Pete dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Did 2 dives this weekend off of Ft DeSoto on the St Pete reef there.

The water was great. A comfortable 77 degrees and the vis was about 15-20 ft. Dove on some old Army tanks that are part of the artifical reef system. They were pretty neat and HUGE!! Managed to see a cuddlefish, a few cowfish, the odd barracuda, and the usual assortment of fish. However the 2 neatest things where a 5ft sea turtle that was cruising the area and a 4ft sting ray.

All in all, a good day to get wet again after a couple of months off.

Paul

CBulla:
NICE! I've been wanting to dive more up that direction. Expand my horizons for dives if you will :D

Come on up, some nice sites here.

Paul

nice report!

not to be picky, but you probably saw a squid, not a cuttlefish.

there are deep-water cuttlefish in the Americas, but they are very rarely sighted as they don't come up anywhere near recreational diving limits.

fgray1:
or a privat boat? How far out is the reef there?
I've been thinking taking a dive out there.
Fred

It was a private boat. I didn't see any charter boats out there. But then again, we didn't arrive until 11ish.

We left from Ft DeSoto, it was about 7.5 miles out if I remember correctly. Get the Dive Florida book by Deloach. It list the coordinates in it.

Hope that helps out.
Paul

CBulla:
wstein - your own boat? Buddy? Maybe have to trade gas $ for a ride ;D

Sorry CBulla, it was a friend of a friends boat. My other friends have a boat up at Dunnedin.

Paul

CBulla:
No worries.. I hope to have my beast in the water soon! :D

Gas $ for boat rides to dive site??? :eyebrow:

Paul

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom