St. Pete/Clearwater Dive Operator recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbethveg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to admit, I've never been diving around here, I always go in the Caribbean or somewhere on the East Coast. I'd like to at least see what the Gulf has to offer (I hear it's not much though). Can anyone recommend a good dive operator that goes out on a regular basis, has a decent dive boat, etc? My husband and I are advanced and use nitrox so we would definitely want the nitrox and do some of the more difficult dive site (preparing for the Galapagos). Any recommendations would be helpful!

thanks!

I will post back w/links. My suggestions are: like Capt Earl w/wet yet dive charters in Hudson, Capt Ty w/Barbara Lee in St. Pete, and Capt. Rod w/dive plunger in Clearwater. (These are not in order of preference).
I am diving with Rod and Earl this weekend.
I preferr spearing trips and these are the best I have found, but they also take photographers!

I did a 10 day live aboard in Galapagos in 2003 and it was great! I got my advanced cert before that trip and you are smart to work on your skills before going.

My husband and I run Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters in Clearwater now. You can check out our website. Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat

We are run weekend morning trips and are starting to run some afternoon weekend trips. When we get at least 6 divers, we will also run weekday trips.

Sounds like you might want to do the deeper dives/wecks like Sheridan. We could let you know when we have a trip going to those sites.

On my trip to the Galapagos, we also did a night dive to see the Redlip Batfish. It was at 125 ft.

I'd like to at least see what the Gulf has to offer (I hear it's not much though).
thanks!

Hello mbethveg,

Of the above mentioned, Capt Earl is the only one I don't know. They are all experienced and run good boats.

Me, I do things a little differently.

I've organized dives since 1977 and captained private Gulf charters from 2001 - 2004 on my boat. Mostly 2 day runs to the Middle Grounds and 35 to 50 mile single day trips to deeper wrecks and sinks. Many were also advanced specialty classes, spearfishing & technical courses. My boat is 36' x 13.5' and set up for 4 live-aboard divers for 2 days.

The last 4 plus years I've dropped doing just charters and continue the training related private adventures, and often take just 1, 2 or 3 divers.

The Gulf of Mexico is very underated diving, due to the visibility in close. People rarely see the good stuff 15 or more miles out. Or the excellent dives @ 35+ miles. Right now even the close (6 mile range) sites are quite clear. We have far more big creatures than most of the rest of Florida... you just have to like boat rides!

I have added a new section (a work in progress) to my website, called "The Wild West Coast of Florida." It is a 37 year history of diving as much as 100 nautical miles offshore from Tampa Bay.

You can see it here Florida Skin Diver. It has lots of photos and links to published articles and wrecks graphics.

Good diving to you!

Capt Chad

Hello mbethveg,

Of the above mentioned, Capt Earl is the only one I don't know. They are all experienced and run good boats.

Me, I do things a little differently.

I've organized dives since 1977 and captained private Gulf charters from 2001 - 2004 on my boat. Mostly 2 day runs to the Middle Grounds and 35 to 50 mile single day trips to deeper wrecks and sinks. Many were also advanced specialty classes, spearfishing & technical courses. My boat is 36' x 13.5' and set up for 4 live-aboard divers for 2 days.

The last 4 plus years I've dropped doing just charters and continue the training related private adventures, and often take just 1, 2 or 3 divers.

The Gulf of Mexico is very underated diving, due to the visibility in close. People rarely see the good stuff 15 or more miles out. Or the excellent dives @ 35+ miles. Right now even the close (6 mile range) sites are quite clear. We have far more big creatures than most of the rest of Florida... you just have to like boat rides!

I have added a new section (a work in progress) to my website, called "The Wild West Coast of Florida." It is a 37 year history of diving as much as 100 nautical miles offshore from Tampa Bay.

You can see it here Florida Skin Diver. It has lots of photos and links to published articles and wrecks graphics.

Good diving to you!

Capt Chad

YOU are so right Chad,

I have been diving all over the world but I still love diving the Gulf

Have way over 5,000 dives just in the gulf and over a 1,000 dive sites from South of the shipping channel to Crystal River. I will not live long enough to dive them all.

More Big fish here then almost any where else in the world. Was big time spear fishing but shoot more video now.

I remember the last time I did the airplane wing in 150 feet of St. Pete and sitting on the bottom and looking at my boat and it seemed like it was floating in air. The water was crystal clear.

Have a Charter going at Sat and Sunday. Weather looks good.
Capt. Mike

I have to admit, I've never been diving around here, I always go in the Caribbean or somewhere on the East Coast. I'd like to at least see what the Gulf has to offer (I hear it's not much though). Can anyone recommend a good dive operator that goes out on a regular basis, has a decent dive boat, etc? My husband and I are advanced and use nitrox so we would definitely want the nitrox and do some of the more difficult dive site (preparing for the Galapagos). Any recommendations would be helpful!

thanks!

See if you can Talk Captain Chad in taking you out for a special trip to the Deep wreck or the sinks off of St. Pete or the Air plan wing in 150 feet off of St. Pete.

We run every weekend but most are easy dives in 45 to 60 feet. We are the ONLY Coast Guard Certified Dive boat in the Tampa Bay area. Most of the Better dive shops use us to do their OPEN WATER training since we can take as many as 14 divers out but we limited most or trips to only 12 or fewer...

We plan to run at least once a month to the Blackthorn and Sheridan Tug which are Cool dives as Capt. Chad has stated.

We Also plan to do some Night dives. My wife did a Night dive to 130 foot at midnight in the Galapagos to see a Rupy Red lipped Bat fish when she did her 10 day live aboard there.

Would do as much diving as possible before you go so you will enjoy it more...

You will be doing a lot of deep dives and a lot of HARD swimming chasing the whale sharks...

Be sure to dive nitrox while there and bring a WARM suit... Can get in the 60's in some spots..

Also practive your snorkel skills.

Capt. Mike
TANKS A LOT DIVER CHARTERS.

thanks!

Hiya! Welcome to the forum :) I'm with SalmonBoy on Ty and Earl. I also like Captain Mike - I will pm you all the numbers for these captains. Also if you ever want to head out with a group of SB'ers you are more than welcome to come out with us. :)

Again, welcome to the GTBA forum and hope to see you in the gulf soon.

p.s. fwiw, I haven't been out on the Plunger w/ Captain Rob but a few regulars around here have and seem to like him quite well.:thumbs-up Just note, you may end up with snorkelers, people training for OW and what have you.

Try 2 Shea charters. Does fishing and diving. He's actually out today on a 3 tank trip. He'll show you some great spots and the boat is in great shape.

TJ Shea 813 385 2169

2Shea Charters

Welcome! My husband and I dive in the Gulf just about every weekend. We've used Capt Earl, Capt Ty, Capt Rod with the Plunger and Capt Mike. We like them all. The Gulf seems to get a bad rap, but I have to tell you that we just love diving here! There is so much to see out here! We are going out with Capt Rod on the Plunger this Saturday. If you are interested, let me know. We would love to have you along!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom