St. Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

queennyac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay one or two days prior to boarding our dive boat in St. Maarten? Hotels or private house for rent....
Would be for "at least" two people, probably more.....not too expensive,
cleanliness a must..Thanks in advance for any help - would be for May of 2014

Since the place I stayed in when I was there was weekly only and was not something I would recommend in any case, I can't help you. But I will point out that, as I am sure you are aware, Ste. Maarten is essentially two countries, one French and one Dutch. The French side is very much like being in France. We shopped in stores in which the clerks spoke no English, and we had to recall our High School French from decades before in order to communicate. The Dutch side did not really seem Dutch at all--it seemed to be more American. We found the French side to be more charming and picturesque, but we did have the language issue. My son and his wife honeymooned on the French side and thought it was great, and neither one has any French language experience.

Turquoise Shell Inn was clean and safe. Check out the the prices. I stayed here about 5 years ago, no frills, but clean and friendly. My only issue was that the hotel said it was by the beach, it is by a beech that you would not use. This hotel is more for the airline industry overnights.

what area of the island do you want to stay in ?? narrowing it down would help quite a bit

preferably near Bobby's Marina - Philipsburg...as this is where the boat docks - although since the island is not THAT big - would not mind a little further away if it's a nice place.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom