St. Lawrence River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo:
...nice Inspiration on your web site PADIPRO...I'm envious!

My rig has gone through many modifications.. My current one has very few original parts on it.. just the scrubber and cartridge..

Here is 2 versions of my rig.. I guess about 2 years old..

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/joe's_titanium_turtle.htm

My current rig has

HammerHead from Juergensen Marine
Titanium chasis from TechDive Tools
Counterlungs from ISC (makers of Meg)
DSV from Philip Krolak
Harness from Oxycheq (APAK lite)
Wing from OMS (duall 100lb)
Apeks DST instead of UST
Lower canister and cartridge from APD
(will soon be replaced with a flood recoverable Radial scrubber)

The the metamorphasis will be complete....

For the deep expedition I was part of in indonesia (150m dives), I used 7l primary bottles and slings as bailout.. otherwise the rig was as seen on the above website.

Thats nice,
I'm just curious how much one of them costs!

My rig is currenty going thru metamorphisis as well. Going more DIR-like and getting away from Trans Pac or IQ harness configs to a SS BP and STA, bungee-less wing, etc.

DannyD,

I checked today at the shop and 9 of the 14 spots are filled. I posted the trip about two months ago. More interest has been shown over the last few weeks (I guess people are starting to think of diving again). I would think the trip will be filled by the end of March. I may be able to add some spots but, I can't promise. Let me know.

padiscubapro:
The closest reasonable sized aitport (about an hour drive) is probably syracuse (SYR), watertown ny (ART) also has an airport(very small).. You would have to fly into somewhere like JFK,newark ect and get a shuttle flight.. from the nyc airports its about a 5 to 7 hour dive (depending on speed and traffic). I don't know the canadian side..

The water is very clear because of zebra mussels - nonatural predators.. when I started diving the area around 15 years ago viz was about 3m now it can be 30+m

The water is the clearest before it heats up.. I like june and early july.. In early september the water is at its warmest...

The area you dive is 40km east of lake ontario.. the main town on the us side is alexandria bay, (watertown ny shows up on most maps is about 30km south of alexandria bay)

The water is warm because of what the area is named for the 1000 islands.. these islands are scattered thought this potion of the river.. This causes the water to get quite thoroughly mixed and the only thermoclines are close to lake ontario and the deep channels.. its not uncommon to dive 40m wrecks with no thermocline in the late summer.
This also has the effect that the surface water temps are a bit lower than other local lake since the warmest water is being mixed with cooler water..

Any Int. airports on the Canadian side? I suppose it would be easier with one less border crossing for a foreign citizen. Besides, I wouldn't mind NOT having to drive through ANY part of New York...

Will it be more expensive to rent a truck or car in Canada than at JFK ?

Info greatly appreciated!

KOMPRESSOR:
Any Int. airports on the Canadian side? I suppose it would be easier with one less border crossing for a foreign citizen. Besides, I wouldn't mind NOT having to drive through ANY part of New York...

I am sur both Toronto and Ottawa would have airports. Ottawa would probably be your best bet as I think is closer to the 1000 island area. I would not even consider JFK as you will be left with along drive, I would imagine around 6 hours. We drive up from the center of New Jersey and it takes us about 7 hrs. I am sure it would be no problem renting cars from either location. Things tend to be cheaper in Canada also.

Dive Junky:
I am sur both Toronto and Ottawa would have airports. Ottawa would probably be your best bet as I think is closer to the 1000 island area. I would not even consider JFK as you will be left with along drive, I would imagine around 6 hours. We drive up from the center of New Jersey and it takes us about 7 hrs. I am sure it would be no problem renting cars from either location. Things tend to be cheaper in Canada also.

Forget toronto its a long drive (wrong side of lake) .. from ottawa (YOW) its about a 2 hour or so drive to the area where the most diving is done..

KOMPRESSOR:

Ottawa or Toronto for the Canadian side, but you are looking at a nice drive. To fly into JKF would also put you in the southern side of NY state, which would make for a long drive. I am not sure about your displeasure with NY state, but I would consider Syracuse Int. Airport. Syracuse is approximatly 45 minutes from the St. Lawrence River. Its an easy ride up Route 81 from Syracuse.

KOMPRESSOR:

I would try Montreal first and then Ottawa and then Toronto for airports. The drive to 100oisland region is 3 hrs from Toronto, and less than that form either Montreal or Ottawa, but both Toronto and Montreal are more international so it woudl be easier to fly into those

if you are flying into this area to dive, you should also try diving some wrecks in Kingston (it is about 45 min drive west of 1000 islands) - they have numerous wrecks as well

I got some descriptions on my site as well

St. Lawrence wrecks

Kingston

vlada:
I would try Montreal first and then Ottawa and then Toronto for airports. The drive to 100oisland region is 3 hrs from Toronto, and less than that form either Montreal or Ottawa, but both Toronto and Montreal are more international so it woudl be easier to fly into those

if you are flying into this area to dive, you should also try diving some wrecks in Kingston (it is about 45 min drive west of 1000 islands) - they have numerous wrecks as well

I got some descriptions on my site as well

St. Lawrence wrecks

Kingston

Way cool pictures you've got on your website! I'll check out airfares for this summer. Most likely I would prefer travelling in Canada, since I've only visited Vancouver BC before, and I would like to see more of your country. -Maybe freshup my french as well ;-)

How about a drive starting at St Lawrence and ending up on Vancouver Island, with scuba gear in the luggage compartment?!

Anyway, you seem to be penetrating the wrecks as well. This is not something we would do. At what depths are these wrecks? We're usually not going deeper than than 32 meters, but can make safe dives down to max 40 meters with our experience.

Back
Top Bottom