St. Lawrence River recovery - Ontario, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it would make sense if it was a hard swimming current , break threw in the scrubber is a real possibility , but andy would be well aware of that , might explain the aborted earlier dive

Is there really still no report from the buddy?

The loss of one of the most prolific technical instructor trainers of the largest certification agency, on a rec dive, presents obviously broad safety concerns.

I really hope people don’t circle the wagons on this one.

Not sure what you mean by "broad safety concern"? Systemic safety issues have been brought to light by organizations such as DAN (eg via their annul publications), a pattern of incidents (eg patterns in DSD instructor student ratios), reports here on SB (eg reports of CO detections) and individual researchers and professionals (eg @GLOC book). One accident by definition can't really be broad.

I would not expect a report from the buddy. A friend of mine had a buddy die on a dive. I still don't know the details and I don't ask.

Agree 110%
Sometimes buddy's document what they saw, heard, experienced - but they should never be obligated to report back to the internet.

Agree 110%
Sometimes buddy's document what they saw, heard, experienced - but they should never be obligated to report back to the internet.
The best action for a buddy in such an accident is to talk about it with a trusted friend or counselor. That suggestion can be offered. A public report would be totally different, tho. The coroner will get that report.

One accident by definition can't really be broad.

I think the broad safety implications of the diving death of an instructor who has, apparently, trained thousands of other instructors, including hundreds of technical instructors, should be obvious.

A number of people have commented that a buddy is not under an obligation to share their story. This is misguided. Open, frank, and public discussion of incidents, based on actual evidence, is how safety standards and practices are developed.

A number of people have commented that a buddy is not under an obligation to share their story. This is misguided. Open, frank, and public discussion of incidents, based on actual evidence, is how safety standards and practices are developed.
Yeah, true, but he must feel awful, even tho there is no indication he was at fault, so I would not press him even if I could.

I hope you never have a buddy die on a dive. You make it sound like people on the internet are reasonable. People will want your head. I can only imagine the lynch mob that would form with the death of someone like Andy. That’s today’s scuba culture in general. A small minority has take Human Factors in Diving.

And seriously a friend of yours dies you are not going to be in a mental state to talk about this. It may take years. Maybe never.

None of us can judge the dive buddy until we’ve been in his shoes. I hope no one here has.

I think the broad safety implications of the diving death of an instructor who has, apparently, trained thousands of other instructors, including hundreds of technical instructors, should be obvious.

Wow. I can barely believe my eyes that you wrote this. You seem to have no understanding or empathy for people who've experienced a traumatic situation.

This is a public forum on the internet. Nobody is obliged to post anything on here.
If someone, after any given period of time, is willing to share any details, we should be thankful for the potential lessons identified / lessons learned, but we should never be demanding anything from someone. This, in case it is needed, is better left to the authorities.

Back
Top Bottom