St. Andrews Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning to be at St. Andy to dive the jetties Sunday. The tides look pretty good, wouldn't you say?

I'll probably dive Vortex on Saturday to try out some new gear configurations, and hit the springs on the way back to Baton Rouge. (I bought an annual this year, as I'll be there quite a few times with my LDS.)

Anyway, I'll be in my divemobile (the little white Hyundai Tiburon with "CLAYJAR" plates from LA), so feel free to flag me down if you see me. (I'm terrible at trying to meet up with people. It almost never seems to work.)

Great Clay!!! Maybe we'll meet up. I'll be driving a blue VW Beetle. Just look for the purple tanks with the pretty green/yellow sticks. Yes I look like a "Dork" and you will laugh at me. Just had to add a little SoCal humor. We dive the jetties anytime, but yes, the tides are in our favor.

ClayJar:
I'm planning to be at St. Andy to dive the jetties Sunday. The tides look pretty good, wouldn't you say?

Not really, you won't get much water influx during a neap, which cuts down on visibility. Sure there are less currents, but if you dive during slack, its not an issue for the most part anyway.

Oh, I certainly know about the vis. I've been diving at the jetties when they looked like Vortex on a bad Saturday mid-morning. :D

That said, I've been diving in enough lakes and the like that even bad vis looks decent to me, and the lack of strong currents means I can get more relaxing bottom time in. Of course, the last time I dove, the Gulf was so cloudy, diving at slack high tide didn't do much at all for the vis, so hey. :wink:

It should be acceptable vis at the jetties. I've dove it many times and not very often with high tide. We had 10-30 ft vis. Now if it's snotty with June grass that's a totally different beast.

baydive20:
Hey Ana want to dive the jetties Sunday AM?

Thanks for the offer but if seas are favorable I'll be going offshore with my husband.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cloudy water and bay water are two different beasts though :p
My first saltwater dive on my checkout trip was in the bay. I don't know what the vis was, but while I could see the fins of the person in front of me, I couldn't see the bottom of their tank. At the time, I thought it was unbearably low vis, but with the benefit of many dives since then, I now know that it was actually not bad. :wink:

Thanks for all the info. I forgot about Spring Break....maybe we'll go to Vortex.

ClayJar:
My first saltwater dive on my checkout trip was in the bay. I don't know what the vis was, but while I could see the fins of the person in front of me, I couldn't see the bottom of their tank. At the time, I thought it was unbearably low vis, but with the benefit of many dives since then, I now know that it was actually not bad. :wink:

I've done a set of dives in the bay where I couldn't see my own shoulder. One bay dive doesn't equal another :wink:

mrfish87:
Thanks for all the info. I forgot about Spring Break....maybe we'll go to Vortex.

Vortex isn't spared from the spring breakers, infact, they get a different kind of rowdy. Like country-bumkin, drunk, stab you in the chest kind of rowdy. Seriously. LOL

Back
Top Bottom