Ssi Txr Itc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am doing a cross over to teach SSI technical classes here in Austin and I have to do 6 dives this coming weekend at lake Travis. Actually only 4 dives will be at lake Travis and 2 will be at Aquarena Springs.

Anyway, what are the conditions at the lake right now. With the additional 5 ft of water what has that done to temp and vis.

thanks

Layne

Lake Travis Temp is about 58F till 35ft and there's a thermocline there that drops the temp to about 53F. Last time I was out at Travis, viz was no better than about 3ft in most places.

Me and joetex dove mansfield this afternoon and had around 20 or a little better in some places, avg a good dozen. I was a little pissed I didn't take camera out into water, but had left it at truck in parking lot, figuring most important issue was to get weight/trim with new neoprene right, between that and first dive with my new quattro's and big ole rock walkin' booties, figured playing with new camera could be 1 new thing more than I wanted to deal with.

Was great divin' with joe, hope to do it again sometime soon. Next time I'll try to get some pics....

It was 63f at the surface and 53f down at 50'. Viz was really good, especially near the sailboat. Had to of been at least 22' since you could see from the bow to the stern.

It was great to dive with you Matt. I look forward to doing it again soon.

Joe

Holy moly - sounds like viz has improved by quite a marginal amount, at least at mansfield. Last time I was out there, it was at Windy point private, but surely the viz gradient wouldn't vary that much from windy point to mansfield.

Sounds like a cool dive.

LVX:
I am doing a cross over to teach SSI technical classes here in Austin and I have to do 6 dives this coming weekend at lake Travis. Actually only 4 dives will be at lake Travis and 2 will be at Aquarena Springs.

Anyway, what are the conditions at the lake right now. With the additional 5 ft of water what has that done to temp and vis.

thanks

Layne

I'd be interested in hearing your reason(s) for switching to the SSI TechXR program. Which program were you teaching before?

I was not teaching tech for any other agency. I am a NAUI/ TDI / SSI instructor and the course is called a crossover even though I am really not crossing over. Just getting certified. The reason is that I teach at Tom's dive and Swim and they are an SSI dealer.

L

LVX:
I was not teaching tech for any other agency. I am a NAUI/ TDI / SSI instructor and the course is called a crossover even though I am really not crossing over. Just getting certified. The reason is that I teach at Tom's dive and Swim and they are an SSI dealer.

L

You have me confused....I was thinking you said you were crossing over in order to teach tech programs under the SSI flag......so what tech do you teach for TDI..or are you just a rec instructor??

Back
Top Bottom