SSI/ PADI Crossover Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So...SSI and PADI do not recognize DM or instructors across agencies? That's good to know. I'm searching the threads looking for an answer to that question right now as I consider getting my DM. I've had my PADI certifications since 1994. It would be a pain to change agencies now.
SSI do a 2-3 day crossover for pros from other agencies, at least they did a few years ago. Our shop paid for us to crossover our equivalent rating, so staff instructor to assistant instructor trainer, or master instructor to master instructor.

The only ratings they didn't crossover were our tech instructor certs, requiring separate assessment which is fair enough.

This. A good bouyancy class will be the best class you ever take even if it doesn't count for a cert.
You're joking, right? PPB doesnt have any performance requirements not covered in open water

You're joking, right? PPB doesnt have any performance requirements not covered in open water
It’s supposed to be their core skills workshop. Would be massively related to the skills of the instructor.

It’s supposed to be their core skills workshop. Would be massively related to the skills of the instructor.
I don't know what "supposed to" means despite starting out as a PADI pro.

Look at the performance requirements.

I don't know what "supposed to" means despite starting out as a PADI pro.

Look at the performance requirements.

As ever, PADI doesn't bother to publish standards or anything else that's useful on their marketing focussed site. Would appreciate a link to the course standards (and all other PADI courses for that matter).

"Supposed" meaning that if it's taught by someone with exemplary core skills and is a good instructor, it would be great. If they're mediocre, well...

"Supposed" meaning that if it's taught by someone with exemplary core skills and is a good instructor, it would be great. If they're mediocre, well...
My apologies to all for my horse riding of agency bashing, that's the problem of vague subjective standards. Mastery is sometimes interpreted as "didn't drown."

If only all agencies insisted that any "Pro" candidate had exemplary core skills.
If only all agencies took the GUE core skills standards as their starting point.

If only all agencies insisted that any "Pro" candidate had exemplary core skills.
If only all agencies took the GUE core skills standards as their starting point.
Heresy! Thou must not mention the agency that must not be named!

What's your goal? If you find a good instructor from any agency, take the course.

If going pro, be sure you really want to. The ROI is nonexistent unless you are independent (and teach like crazy) or plan to open your own dive center
My goal is to simply become a better dive for myself, and more importantly, my buddies

Back
Top Bottom