SSI nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the admit as an active nitrox instructor for ssi, I don’t really know the answer to the op’s question.

It has always been my habit to issue the 40% cert. there is indeed 4 sections to the book and online manuals. I have always taught all of it as I believe it is all relevant to anyone diving nitrox. The instructor manual does not make mention of nitrox 32 vs nitrox 40 that I can see. But there is the option in ordering the cert card for either one. It’s a question I will bring and will post when and if I can get an official answer.

any feedback on nitrox cert offered by: onlinenitroxlessons.com ? It's a non https secure site for paying fee. any rejections of this cert? (only $99)
Thx.
This is part of the scheme run by David Holt of Aquastrophics. You do not learn how to measure your oxygen percentage in an online class. You read about how to do it, but you get no practice and no feedback. Even worse is their OW class. They claim to provide all the book work you need to go to any agency (a "referral") and do the pool and open-water work. But no agency will accept their referral. Here is what PADI says:
upload_2019-8-27_23-11-3.png

I got my SSI Nitrox card in 2016. There were two levels. I did both and got the card that says up to 40%. As I recall, the second level boiled down to answering several more test questions.

This was how my SSI Nitrox class worked, about 2016 as well.

It’s a question I will bring and will post when and if I can get an official answer.
Like I said, my answer came out of the standard - STANDARDS_English-Metric_IM.pdf SSI Training Standards (2019 edition)

Like I said, my answer came out of the standard - STANDARDS_English-Metric_IM.pdf SSI Training Standards (2019 edition)

That’s all well and good, but that certainly isn’t a clear answer, after being in the ssi system for 26 years and teaching half of that, there is always more to it, as I found this morning discussing it with Ssi.

That’s all well and good, but that certainly isn’t a clear answer, after being in the ssi system for 26 years and teaching half of that, there is always more to it, as I found this morning discussing it with Ssi.
So, what did you find out?

what's the logic of doing that? the math is the same, the procedures are the same up to 40% regardless of what you're doing, so why split the cert up?

They still offer both versions of the cert and an upgrade between. If you just want Nx32 (level 1) then its the first 3 academic sessions and a shorter exam. If you want 21-40 (level 2) then its all academic and the full exam. I think its probably focused on places that pump Nx32 as it can be taken combined with Open Water. You still pay for the full cert so later on you can upgrade to full Nitrox when you have had time to let everything settle in. I guess it just gives instructors more options. Like if someone is struggling with the maths they can review it at a later date. Personally I have only ever certified the full program.

They split it up for the same reasons they split up all the simple stuff... to sell you more courses for what should have been taught from the get-go. It is responding to the timid and fearful, which seems like the last couple of generations gravitate toward.

I don't think that's the case at all. I mean should everyone be doing hypoxic trimix from the get go? If they are diving in a resort that only pumps 32% it gives a lower cost option where they can only use that. Whats the problem? Customer has more cash in the wallet and less headache. Some people probably just want to get in the water rather than spending time with their head in a book. Later if they want to do the full spec they can read the rest of the materials and finish the course. Plus its only an option not something they are trying to push on anyone. I genuinely can't see a problem. Certainly don't see the newer generation as fearful. That just sounds like stereotyping.

I completed the online portion for level 2 and went to the shop today for the written test and hands on skills with the tanks/meters. The test was only 25 questions. I'm curious which level card I will end up with.

According to the current SSI course standards document, if you pass the first three sections of the four sections of the EAN course then you receive the EAN32 card. If you pass all four sections then you receive the EAN40 card. You must answer 80% or greater for a pass. This pass level of 80% is used for all rec level courses (the pass level is 90% for pro courses). The fourth section is about PLANNING nitrox dives.

this would seem to be correct. that is what the latest standards say. if you check the previous 2017 standards there is only the mention of the one course. i can only assume that they have decided to return to the older way of doing this and now offer the 2 levels again. i am curious why the change. i know SDI offers a simple computer nitrox course and you have to take the TDI course to get the full training. perhaps they are trying to offer a similar option. i would love to hear SSI's explanation as one of the posters previous stated he had spoke to them about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom