SSI light penetration training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there an SSI cert that allows for light cave/wreck penetration? I want to stay within the light zone, but I want to make sure I do everything correct, and figure there probably is one.

Thanks!

Is there an SSI cert that allows for light cave/wreck penetration? I want to stay within the light zone, but I want to make sure I do everything correct, and figure there probably is one.

Thanks!
Take a cavern course then do your wreck then advanced wreck.

Take a cavern course then do your wreck then advanced wreck.

Could I just do my cavern and then technical wreck course and do it? Do I need to do wreck?

Or if I do cavern and wreck could I do light penetration?

Could I just do my cavern and then technical wreck course and do it? Do I need to do wreck?

Or if I do cavern and wreck could I do light penetration?

You would have to check the Advanced Wreck prerequisites. TDI Advanced Wreck, for example, requires the student to have done the SDI Wreck course (or equivalent course). Cavern would share some similarities with recreational wreck course, but there are differences. I did SDI Wreck course with limited penetration a few years back. I’m cavern/intro to cave now and there are definite differences between wreck and cave diving.

You would have to check the Advanced Wreck prerequisites. TDI Advanced Wreck, for example, requires the student to have done the SDI Wreck course (or equivalent course). Cavern would share some similarities with recreational wreck course, but there are differences. I did SDI Wreck course with limited penetration a few years back. I’m cavern/intro to cave now and there are definite differences between wreck and cave diving.
Thanks! I’m very interested in growing in these skills, so thank you!

It also depends on the wreck course. SDI has two levels of recreational wreck. 1st level is exterior only.
2nd level requires two more dives with limited penetration on the light zone.
A proper 1st level shows you why recreational divers have no business inside a wreck.
2nd level shows you why you should be taking the TDI Advanced Wreck before you go into a wreck.
When I teach it, the 1st level is all about surveying the outside, identifying hazards, researching the wreck, and using a line and reel for navigation on the outside.
2nd level expands on the ways you can die by going inside without proper training and equipment, use of a line within the light zone (we never go in more than enough to see if the entry is safe and I prefer to use a mirror for that), primary and secondary tie offs, entanglements, and why you are still not ready to penetrate beyond the light zone.
1st level is 4 dives, 2nd is minimum of 2 additional dives on top if that. I prefer to do more.
None of these should be taken until your buoyancy and trim are very good to exceptional and you can do non silting kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks. All are necessary for wreck penetration.
I would not bother accepting anyone until they can do these effectively.
An instructor that would is doing the student no favors.

Awe
It also depends on the wreck course. SDI has two levels of recreational wreck. 1st level is exterior only.
2nd level requires two more dives with limited penetration on the light zone.
A proper 1st level shows you why recreational divers have no business inside a wreck.
2nd level shows you why you should be taking the TDI Advanced Wreck before you go into a wreck.
When I teach it, the 1st level is all about surveying the outside, identifying hazards, researching the wreck, and using a line and reel for navigation on the outside.
2nd level expands on the ways you can die by going inside without proper training and equipment, use of a line within the light zone (we never go in more than enough to see if the entry is safe and I prefer to use a mirror for that), primary and secondary tie offs, entanglements, and why you are still not ready to penetrate beyond the light zone.
1st level is 4 dives, 2nd is minimum of 2 additional dives on top if that. I prefer to do more.
None of these should be taken until your buoyancy and trim are very good to exceptional and you can do non silting kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks. All are necessary for wreck penetration.
I would not bother accepting anyone until they can do these effectively.
An instructor that would is doing the student no favors.

Awesome! Planning on doing my perfect buoyancy soon, then my regular wreck. Thanks!

Awe

Awesome! Planning on doing my perfect buoyancy soon, then my regular wreck. Thanks!
Note there is no guarantee your course will be like this. This is the way I teach it and I am known for going way above standards. Not all instructors do that. And your instructor should be doing dives at the technical or advanced wreck level with penetration and decompression. Just because an instructor is allowed to teach a recreational wreck class, it doesn't mean they can offer a good one.

Note there is no guarantee your course will be like this. This is the way I teach it and I am known for going way above standards. Not all instructors do that. And your instructor should be doing dives at the technical or advanced wreck level with penetration and decompression. Just because an instructor is allowed to teach a recreational wreck class, it doesn't mean they can offer a good one.
Thanks!

Also, would it be possible to get certified for this without using twin or side mount or scr/ccr? I am no where close to having the ability to do those other courses yet.

Thanks!

Also, would it be possible to get certified for this without using twin or side mount or scr/ccr? I am no where close to having the ability to do those other courses yet.
That's entirely up to your instructor. For anything wreck related I require students to have primary gas suitable for the depth and to carry a slung redundant air supply. Usually 30 cu ft or larger. It depends on the depth of the wreck. Anything over 60 ft I want students in doubles or sidemount plus the slung bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom