SSI DiveCon or PADI Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottri

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of getting my Dive Master rating and my choices of classes are SSI Dive Con or PADI Dive Master. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better or worse? Right now I'm leaning toward PADI just on cost and convience. The PADI shop near my home is $350 the SSI coarse is $675. All of my current certifications are through SSI but I don't have any particular loyalty to SSI.

Thanks folks!

Scott

:box:

While I don't think the agency makes much difference to the beginning diver, I think the market dictates that you go for PADI.

Price not withstanding, PADI is the 800 pound gorilla of recreational scuba diving, and as such if you want to seek employment as a DM, I think a PADI certification will open more doors.

Other point is that if you go through SSI I think you are much more likely to have a potential employer request that you crossover to PADI than vice-versa.

Better go put on my asbestos gear now. Let's hear from the board, :flame: flame away!

First, you need to understand that the Dive Master rating is only *part* of the DiveCon rating. To compare apples to apples you'd need to compare the DM+AI PADI courses to the DiveCon course, which includes both DM and AI ratings.
I do not believe that the "market dictates PADI" at all. But don't take my word for it - ask the places you want to use your training what they prefer.
Rick

Rick...

I'm too looking at completing DM this year and your post made me think of a question....

Where you say "ask the places you want to use your training what they prefer" do you mean finding out which flavor of agency they will require to allow me to DM for them?

Originally posted by TexasMike
Rick...

I'm too looking at completing DM this year and your post made me think of a question....

Where you say "ask the places you want to use your training what they prefer" do you mean finding out which flavor of agency they will require to allow me to DM for them?
Yes, that's what I mean. If you want to work with a particular shop, or with shops in a particular area it would be a good idea to show up with the credential they prefer.
Rick

Another excellent question to ask is "Why do I want to be a DM?" If it's merely the next step, but you have no particular goal I'd suggest not taking the course. There is a great deal of responsibilty and liability involved with becoming a DM. If it is your intention to work as a DM, you'll most likely be required to have an instructor rating (there are exceptions) before you'll be able to find employment. If it is one step in your goal to teach now is the time to find which agency fits your personal philosophy. SSI requires shop affiliation, none of the other agencies do. You must decide if this is something you want for yourself. Beyond that, there are different philosophical approaches to teaching diving. You need to decide which approach suits your personality better. You do have more options than SSI & PADI, you may not be aware of them and they may not be as convenient, but they exist.

DSSW,

WWW™

While the market may not dictate PADI, you can no longer obtain insurance in Alaska if you are SSI or NAUI. PADI is certianly the only game in town here. Don't know if these kind of changes are occuring elsewhere. All the dive shops here are now PADI. ages

I would be interested in finding out what Alaska has against the other agencys. If you have any references would you please list them for us? In my experiences I have not notaiced a tremendous difference in any certifying group. I have seen less than good divers from all groups.

Have to agree, most of the dive market looks for PADI professionals. If you'd like to be flexible as a dive pro, PADI is the way to go, and you would probably want to consider continuing on to AI or instructor, as it makes you more marketable as a dive professional.

If you have a specific shop in mind, and they have a specified agency preference, then go with that. I believe all the major agencies provide good training, and it's really about how much of yourself you put into it -- taking the responsibility seriously, as well as really enjoying what you do. If you don't love diving, you won't make a good dive pro.

Having said that, Walter makes a good point; ask yourself why you want to take the step to divemaster. Don't think that it's necessarily the next logical step after Rescue Diver (or equivalent); take the step because you love to dive, and love helping others get the same joy out of the experience.

:) That's why I teach diving, even though I have a day job; I love seeing my students' faces light up at the experiences they have underwater, and to know that you helped them get there, it's a great feeling.

Originally posted by chuckrt
I would be interested in finding out what Alaska has against the other agencys. If you have any references would you please list them for us? In my experiences I have not notaiced a tremendous difference in any certifying group. I have seen less than good divers from all groups.
The decision to pull out of Alaska was SSI's and NAUI's, not Alaska's. Due to the "terrible legal climate in Alaska" it was determined that the increase in insurance premiums for everyone in the rest of the country necessary to provide coverage for a few in Alaska just wasn't worth the hassle. Don't be surprised if PADI pulls out one day too - the lawyers have all but killed the goose that lays the golden eggs already.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom