SSI AOW versus Deep diving speciality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny how many think that simply having a padi aow card somehow makes them a safe deeper diver because they did one dive to 100 feet. i personally don't enjoy deeper dives.

@Pat85

Not exactly answering your question, but I strongly recommend for any deep course, the contents of this article should be thoroughly discussed: Alert Diver | Performance Under Pressure. Not all instructors will understand it however, so you'll need to do some vetting. Good luck with meeting all your goals.

Its safer than 0 dives that's for sure.

i am sorry but i would have to disagree with this statement.

i would take an ow diver with deep water experience over an aow diver who has only done one.

what some newer divers don't realize is that in reality, many dive shops will allow you to go deep "if" they feel you have the ability to do so safely.

not all shops insist on you having taken a course for deep diving. just like night diving, most will take you as long as they have seen you dive and are confident you can do so safely.

i went on night and deeper dives on many trips well before having any training beyond ow.

do i recommend getting proper training and proper equip before doing these types of dives ? of course i do. but some get very valuable experience by diving with other divers who are willing to share their knowledge.

the only diving i know for sure you should not be allowed to do without the proper certification is any dive using nitrox.

i am sorry but i would have to disagree with this statement.

i would take an ow diver with deep water experience over an aow diver who has only done one.

what some newer divers don't realize is that in reality, many dive shops will allow you to go deep "if" they feel you have the ability to do so safely.

not all shops insist on you having taken a course for deep diving. just like night diving, most will take you as long as they have seen you dive and are confident you can do so safely.

i went on night and deeper dives on many trips well before having any training beyond ow.

do i recommend getting proper training and proper equip before doing these types of dives ? of course i do. but some get very valuable experience by diving with other divers who are willing to share their knowledge.

the only diving i know for sure you should not be allowed to do without the proper certification is any dive using nitrox.
What did you disgree on? Of course if we are talking about OW divers who have actually gone to a few/many deep dives without getting a certification, they are more likely to be more experienced than an AOW with one deep dive in their pocket, which is great for them. I am just comparing a 0 dive experience with 1 dive experience. Of course 1 is greater than 0.

funny how many think that simply having a padi aow card somehow makes them a safe deeper diver because they did one dive to 100 feet. i personally don't enjoy deeper dives.
@ rick00001967 No one has mentioned SDI’s version of AOW. Are you able to comment on it in a comparative manner?

the following specialities are probably my way to go: Perfect Buoyancy, Science of Diving, Deep Diving, Diver Stress & Rescue and probably Dry Suit (given the temperatures here, in the Dutch waters), so the Deep Diving program will be one to do for sure!

Please note that there is no additional performance requirements in PADI's PPB than what is covered in open water. Not a single one. If you need PPB, then your OW instructor did a poor job.

Given your location, I'd suggest taking GUE fundies after certification. It will give you solid skills that mainstream agencies typically fail. A list of instructors teaching fundies in Netherlands are here: GUE Instructors.

For specialties, I'd more recommend navigation (and a really good instructor at that), search & recovery, dry suit, nitrox, and deep (and an instructor who understands not only narcosis, but gas density issues as well).

i believe it is similar to the ssi aow in that you choose any 4 specialties. they also have the adv adventure diver. this is where you try 5 different specialty dives. nav and deep are required.

SDI Advanced Adventure Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

SDI Advanced Scuba Diver Development Program - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

SDI Advanced Diver minimum requirements:
  • Complete four SDI, TDI, or ERDI Specialty Diver courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives, may be credited towards the SDI Advanced Diver development program, with the exception of SDI Computer Nitrox

this confuses me a little. I’m sdi OW and NASE Nitrox. so does my nitrox already count as one specialty towards my sdi advanced? So basically I would need 3 more with dives?

SSI has a better structure to their courses than PADI. I would strongly recommend taking Deep, Nitrox and then Science of Diving. Deep diving course will introduce you to advanced gas planning and formula work. Nitrox will give you the additional bottom time and Science of Diving is probably the most challenging course available to a recreational diver. It clears a lot of concepts that linger unaddressed at the back of your head. Suggestion to supplement this with GUE Fundies is not a bad one. When it comes to skill development there is little out there that brings you to the same proficiency as GUE Fundies or UTD Essentials. No matter what path you choose, always stay within the limits of your training.

Back
Top Bottom