SSI AOW + Master Diver questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who replied.

My friend contacted SSI a few days ago and has now been contacted by the store. I am not sure of the details of what has gone on but the shop is now sending my friend out his Master Diver card free of charge.

To clarify the dive requirements for master Diver (I know it isn't an issue in this particular circumstance, but wouldn't want confusion for people reading this.) from the US standards I have for Master Diver:

2. Prerequisites: In order to receive a Master Diver rating students are to successfully complete any four Specialty courses and a Diver Stress and Rescue course that involves at least 8 open water scuba dives and log a total of at least 50 open water dives for certification.

So while specialty dives may have some opportunities to be combined, I did want to make it clear that 50 dives are required for the Master Diver rating... wasn't sure it it might look like someone could get it with only 8-10 dives.... that obviously can't happen since SSI has their experience requirements for their certifications. clear as mud? :wink:

Carrielsal....

The purpose of an equipment class is a more in depth understanding of your equipment and to expose you to some other equipment, such as, scooter, different BC's etc.

- Ray

Thanks to all who replied.

My friend contacted SSI a few days ago and has now been contacted by the store. I am not sure of the details of what has gone on but the shop is now sending my friend out his Master Diver card free of charge.

I'm the dive buddy that SasPotato has posted the question on my behalf to ScubaBoard. This has been my experience and outcome; first of all Both the SSI training facility and SSI Australia on their respective websites absolutely claim that doing an Equipment Specialty course counts towards your AOW and Master Diver (MD) certification. In fact when I requested my AOW and MD cards I was told I did not qualify because the Equipment Specialty course does not count towards any card because it does not contain a diving component. It took four months to get this information out to me after repeated requests for my cards. Others who had qualified for AOW and MD I know for a fact got their cards within weeks as they are produced on-site. In any case I got the store's owner to confirm this in writing which he did. I then forwarded all my correspondence to SSI Australia who promptly contacted the SSI training agency and within two days I got a reversal of their decision and go my cards sent in the mail; I also did not have to pay the AUD$80 (US$90) for the MD card which they were charging. It took another month before I got a reply from SSI Australia (but not from the training agency). The upshot was that they said there were administrative process problems that they were looking into. I translate that as the SSI training agency got it's backside kicked right royally for acting so poorly in this matter. Furthermore , I asked SSI to further inquire about others in my situation who might have been refused their AOW cards for the same reason. SSI was silent on this and did not comment on my inquiry. I hope that they followed it through and that anyone else in my situation has had their case looked into. They were also silent on an apology which o be quite frank surprised me.

The upshot is that this long-winded saga is now closed and I feel vindicated. The SSI training agency has still not qualified their website with regards to the requirements of what actually constitutes an AOW or MD certification. Scooter's extract of the SSI training manual states precisely the formula for calculating how many OW dives you need to have completed to qualify for AOW etc. I did qualify in fact qualify but the SSI training agency just did not understand this and needed reminding by SSI Australia.

Having said that I was quite happy with the standard of training and instruction I got with the SSI training facility concerned, but, I would still not recommend them to anyone.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion as it proved most informative.

MidnightElf

Hello Saspotato,

Go to a different SSI dive store.

Explain the difficulty.

Submit your dive log for inspection.

Request a quotation for a deeply discounted price (remember no diving is needed) on taking ALL the courses and tests over.

Take the tests. You will find the tests to be simple due to your knowledge and experience.

The dive store will generate the necessary file for SSI auditing purposes and apply for your cards.

Sorry your friend is having such problems. We live and learn.

Thanks Lee but it is all sorted now :) I got my AOW a while before Midnightelf at the same place and didn't have trouble like this actually. He has AOW now so can continue on in some courses that he has planned. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom