SR-1 failure, again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little story about my reg purchase:

So I contact Sherwood and they were like "yeah we did have problems with them free flowing in the past, but the problems have been corrected."

:idk:
I would like to know what the "fix" was, I still haven't heard anything about a "fix".

CMAN: Each situation brought to our attention is resolved to the best of our ability. There was not one across the board "fix". We have had everything from second stage adjustment knobs being left wide open that caused the free flow to units that we replaced to dig into the unit and find out exactly what is going on with it. If you need help with your regulator free flow, please contact an authorized dealer and we will get it resolved. We are constantly trying to improve our products and having high performance regulators free flow will happen to any manufacturer. The "fix" is we take our life support products very seriously and take appropriate action with every piece of equipment we sell.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

I find it hard to believe that after over 3 years this problem continues. I had two SR1's blow their environmental seal before I switched to a Maximus. Does not breathe as well however is more than adequate and with a proven track record. I was in Palau in Feb. and heard that familiar "POP" and yes it was an SR1. I also had the Gemini freeflow in Roatan two years ago however after getting that fixed I have had no further problems. I would have preferred a replacement to a newer version Gemini as The fix sounds more permanent IMHO. On the positive side the problem led me to Scubaboard where I found out that I was not alone with my concerns.

The breathing of the SR1 is better than with any other reg I have ever used. Having said that the 1st stage just blew apart.....again, just as I turned the air on at the tank. While I appreciate a good breathing reg I just dont trust this reg anymore. I bought mine when they first came out some 2 to 3 years ago. Is there a "fix" for this problem or is the fix getting a new reg?

My fix was to make it a paperweight. This was before the 1st stage explosions starting happening. Maybe I chose the safe route by luck? Sherwood support couldn't acknowledge there was a problem when I sent mine in twice, including the metal bits inside from manufacturing. I wonder what revision they are on now since I turned it into a Do Not Buy paperweight. It was three then and I couldn't get the parts. They told me and my dive shop owner they would refund me, but I'm still waiting.

My observations have been that:

1) The SR1 is inconsistent at best,

2) Some seem to work well with good reliability while others do not,

3) some that were reliable stop being relaible,

4) local dive shops/Sherwood dealers seem to have problems with servicing them, requiring factory intervention at rates that far exceeds any other regulator I have ever encountered.

5) I don't enjoy working on the SR1, and the "fix" seems to be a bag of tricks - absurd amounts of lube seem to help the most, but I've seen springs that were the issue as well and we've sent regs in and never really heard what the "fix" was.

Given all that, I don't think it's a great design. It might offer great performance, but a far more important aspect of life support equipment is reliability, and if a scuba regulator cannot be dove for an entire year by the average diver with average preventive maintenance without failure, then it fails that standard.

Similarly, if the average production reg of that design cannot be serviced by the average dive shop/Sherwood dealer and then perform to the above reliability standard, it again fails that standard.

I'll never own one and I'll never recommend anyone buy one based on the above observations.

---------- Post Merged at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:03 AM ----------

If anyone has any issues with our SR1, contact a dealer with your proof of purchase and we will get it resolved.
So if a customer:

1) lost his proof of purchase;
2) got it as a gift and never had it in the first place; or
2) bought it from an original owner;

you won't get it resolved?

Please tell me that's not what you implied.

I just don't trust this reg anymore. So what do I do with it, sell it on ebay? Is that a moral thing to do knowing that I don't trust it? Do I just eat the lose? I just don't know. Having said that in January I had a Wisdom I I had purchased 6 years ago quit working. Sent it in to Sherwood who replaced it with a refurg for $75.00 which I thought was more than fair. So Sherwood can do the right thing. I don't want to just harp on the bad and not mention the good. I just don't know what to do about the SR1.

Reactions: Jax
I just don't trust this reg anymore. So what do I do with it, sell it on ebay? Is that a moral thing to do knowing that I don't trust it? Do I just eat the lose? I just don't know. Having said that in January I had a Wisdom I I had purchased 6 years ago quit working. Sent it in to Sherwood who replaced it with a refurg for $75.00 which I thought was more than fair. So Sherwood can do the right thing. I don't want to just harp on the bad and not mention the good. I just don't know what to do about the SR1.

Why would you continue to dive with a piece of equipment that you don't trust especially your regulator??? If you need to take the hit so be it and buy something with a proven track record be it Sherwood or another manufacturer. I remember that dread I had each time I opened the valve on my tank.....would it blow again? Switching regs took a weight off. There is enough stuff to worry about with diving. Would you feel good about selling it to someone else having experienced what you have?

It's too bad about Sherwood's SR1. Before this they were such a solid company. I wonder what it takes for them to offer a "recall" or be required to. At some point there could be a class action suit. That would be so sad for a once great company. In fact, as far as I am concerned - Sherwood is still great, just stay away from the SR1.

I love my old (1980's) Sherwood Oasis - I have gone hundreds of dives without ever having an issue! I even bought an identical backup.

I believe the problem with the reg is proper lube of the 1st stage when it's put together. It is very touchy to this. I don't believe this to be a safety issue because the blow ups are happening when the tank is turned on and the 1st stage still functions there is just no seals on it to keep stuff out of it. That being said both times it happened to me I didn't dive with the reg and I wouldn't after it blew out. Sherwood worked with me on resolving the problem with my set but I wouldn't recommend an SR1 to someone at this point.

Back
Top Bottom