Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda once bubbled...
I'm trying to find a dive shop to order me 6 buckle JetFin assemblies, but I cannot find a ScubaPro dealer willing to go through the trouble for such a small order...

If any of you have come up with better (cleaner, less painful) ways of attaching this straps, please share.

You don't bave to get it from scuba-pro. they charge an arm and a leg for each such buckle. you can get identical ones for about a seventh opf the price from other companyes./ search google for DIY spring strups and you will see the catalogic number for the buckles avalable from some company called somthing like "Global". about 1$ a piece i think

Anyone have a McMaster part number for those shacles to fit the Quattros or Vollos? Also, did you have to bend them to get them over the knub?

You can also use stainless s-hooks instead of shackles. Your neighborhood Lowe's (or whatever home improvement chain you have in LA) should have them - that's where I got mine. Worked great on my Volos. Also, you will also have to file down the little nub on the inside surface of the strap post, but you already knew that :) Just don't think I saw anybody mention that in the thread so far.

-Roman.

I have the part number, but I'm not posting it - they don't work well. You can easily twist the anchor shackle off the post on the fin, and then your "unbreakable" spring strap has come off. Kind of makes it pointless.

That was on a Cressi Space Frog, with a 1/2" stem with 3/4" button on the post, which is the standard dimension for this type of attachment AFAIK.

I tried the 3/16" shackle, which was the smallest SS they had.

el-nino,

The part number of the Global's JetFin buckle assembly is 53030. Unfortunately, the shops in my area didn't carry these either.

But, I did find out that Trident makes the same buckle assembly (for the Rockets). And for some reason, the dive shop seemed much less resistant to order from Trident than Global.

Until I get my buckle assemblies, I am using 1" eye-straps and 6/32" diameter bolts (purchased at local boating shop) to hold my fins together. So far, my makeshift strap attachements appear to be working well. But, I hope to change them ASAP because I do not like the fact that there are so many parts to this assembly (too many possible failure points).

Scubaroo bubbled:" they don't work well. You can easily twist the anchor shackle off the post on the fin"

The secret is to clinch the shackle to close the "C" shape tightly around the T post. So it can't come off.

I went a step farther. Having a Tap and die set I threaded the shanks further so would fully tighten up. Then I deformed the protruding thread so the shank could not come loose.

Here's a picture of wetman's Volo's with the spring straps inplace.

He and I used the "Canadian Tire " 3/16 SS shackle.

Mike D

mddolson once bubbled...
The secret is to clinch the shackle to close the "C" shape tightly around the T post. So it can't come off.
Now why didn't I think of that? :)

Will have to give that a go. My first thought was that if you did this, the pin would no longer go through the smooth hole and mate up correctly with the threads, because it's been bent out of shape, but hey, you've got a photo to prove it works!

Now if only I hadn't screwed up and only ordered 2 anchor shackles instead of 4, I'd put them back on my fins!

Can someone please point me to a set of detailed instructions for building some spring straps for my Quattros?

Some specific questions:

Which part number to order from McMaster-Carr? The only part number I find referenced is now obsolete, so what is the proper replacement?

I couldn't find the shackles referenced above at HD or Lowes... can anyone provide a brand & part # for these, or tell where in the store to look?

How long do I order the springs? Or will I have to size them to my feet/boot? If so, how much tension should the spring be under when in place?

Is cave line still the right answer for the restraint? If so, where do I buy just a bit of line? Is sometihng available from HD or Lowes for this? How long should the line be?

I love the idea, and am pretty handy.... I just need a few pointers.

Thanks,
-Allen

Allen42 once bubbled...
Can someone please point me to a set of detailed instructions for building some spring straps for my Quattros?

Some specific questions:

Which part number to order from McMaster-Carr? The only part number I find referenced is now obsolete, so what is the proper replacement?

I couldn't find the shackles referenced above at HD or Lowes... can anyone provide a brand & part # for these, or tell where in the store to look?

How long do I order the springs? Or will I have to size them to my feet/boot? If so, how much tension should the spring be under when in place?

Is cave line still the right answer for the restraint? If so, where do I buy just a bit of line? Is sometihng available from HD or Lowes for this? How long should the line be?

I love the idea, and am pretty handy.... I just need a few pointers.

Thanks,
-Allen

Allen, I just ordered some new springs from McMaster-Carr on Monday. The new part number is 3932K54. I got them today and they are indeed the same spring.

I made a set of spring straps for my Tusa Imprex fins using the same springs and a set of SS S-hooks from Home Depot. They have held up great although I primarily use my Jets for everthing now. I followed Ben's spring strap page for my straps. Excellent directions with enlargable pics as well.
Here's the link
http://www.giddins.net/scuba/spring_straps/

You can use either vinyl tubing or tubular webbing to cover the springs or what ever you like instead. I have done both and can't really tell the difference in the water, only cosmetically.

The springs from McMaster-Carr come in packs of three and they are eleven inches long. You will need to size them to your foot yourself.

Now for the cave line, yes it's definaltely a good idea. You can use use any decent strength braided nylon line. That's all that cave line is anyway. It should be available at HD or Lowes. I found out after taking my Jets apart to fix them, my cave line inside was not secured at one end like I thought it was. Hence the spring overstretching and the need for replacement. ( reffer to previous post in this thread for a picture) All you need is another inch or so of line past what it takes to stretch them over your boots to put them on. That works good for the other fins that I have done (and are secured at both ends :D) without overstretching the springs.

Man, that was fast! The S-hooks look good. Anyone have thoughts on s-hooks vs. shackles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom