Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avoid the plastic buckles. Get the all-metal kinds. But be aware that some need some way to ensuring they stay on. For Atomics, I'd probably look at the XS Scuba straps.

The ones by Innovative Scuba appear to attach to the buckle that come with the Atomics (which on mine is plastic) so if should avoid plastic buckles what brand should I buy to fit my Atomics...my Atomics are size small...sorry to sound so confused I just never have used spring straps and I am trying to get as much info as I can before I buy them....:)

I was not implying that spring straps are not trouble free. However, as Compudude said, donning and doffing is a breeze. Best upgrade I've made. I had the Hands Free straps from AL and it was just a pain trying to adjustment the same way all the time.

I've also got a pair of the XS Scuba spring straps. They come with the clip-on mounts and have pins that screw in to prevent the clips from popping off. But they can pop loose if the pin doesn't seat correctly under the mounting stud.

I have these spring straps. love em and they work great!

fna418.jpg

I dive in a community of people who use the "wire type" spring straps. I've not heard of them damaging the fins. I have heard of (actually was there and saw) a spring strap breaking during a dive. It was an easy temporary fix, and did not result in the loss of the fin.

I have the "round" type spring straps and they have never rolled off my feet, and I have small, narrow feet. I have had some problems with one of the straps tending to roll down and sit on the prominence of my heel and cause some soreness after multiple days of diving, but I solved that by putting a "stop" on the back of my boot.

I don't find removing the simple ones to be difficult at all. I just put my index finger in between the strap and my foot, right where the strap attaches to the fin and there is therefore a small space. I then pull the finger back to my heel and pull the strap off.

My husband likes the kind with the flat rubber attachment with the loop on it. He has modified the ones he bought to attach them to Jet fins. It's not a difficult adjustment.

NeMEed, you'll be able to see both kinds up close and personal on the 19th.

The ones by Innovative Scuba appear to attach to the buckle that come with the Atomics (which on mine is plastic) so if should avoid plastic buckles what brand should I buy to fit my Atomics...my Atomics are size small...sorry to sound so confused I just never have used spring straps and I am trying to get as much info as I can before I buy them....:)

For Atomic fins, nothing beats the XS Scuba strap (come to think of it, nothing beats it for ANY fin). Take a look at this link and you will see how these straps stack up against others.

XS Scuba Universal Spring Fins Straps

Phil Ellis

While I prefer the rubber heel cup offered by the Innovative straps, for Atomics, I'll agree with Phil that the XS Scuba straps he sells are probably your best bet. It's a shame Atomic chose to go with a non-standard attachment point, else there would be a lot more choice.

Atomic makes their own spring straps specifically for their fins, but they have the same plastic buckle issue as the Innovative straps, unfortunately, so ironically I can't recommend the OEM ones either.

One option may be the Apollo spring straps, which have the best heel cup going (better than the Innovative ones, because the pull loop is beefier), but require some pretty major (and permanent) fin modification to install them, and they're the most expensive of the bunch.

For Atomic fins, nothing beats the XS Scuba strap (come to think of it, nothing beats it for ANY fin). Take a look at this link and you will see how these straps stack up against others.

XS Scuba Universal Spring Fins Straps

Phil Ellis

Wow, that mounting system is pretty nice. Solves all the issues.
Now if they could offer them with heel cups and pull loops, they'd have it all covered.

--- bill

I'm with Nimrod, I've never had a strap break and even if they did my fins tend to stick on my booties pretty tight.

As for getting into a pitching boat, I usually have them off already. And vis versa, getting off a boat that is really moving and prevents one from trying to don fins before my leap is just a matter of leaping, and then putting them on in the water. No problem.

I have seen a whole lotta plastic buckles come apart at the worst time.

Thanks everyone for the great information and pictures....that is just the info Iwas looking for....I agree that I would love to see the XS Scuba Universal Spring Straps with a pull loops but they do look like the best bet..

jmichaels the ones from Innovatice Scuba look good also....but they don't say if they will fit the Atomic fin...

Thanks again:)

Thanks for all the advice! I think I may wait until I see TSandM's and her husbands straps before coming to a final decision! :) Thanks!

NeMEed, you'll be able to see both kinds up close and personal on the 19th.

So true! :D And I can't wait!!! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom