Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this has been discussed on this forum many times before (I did a search), but I just had to ask you guys something.

I've been looking at purchasing a set of spring straps for my fins to make it easier to get them on and off. I've been reading post after post about how great these are and how much easier they are to put on and off.

My question is with the type that is only bungee in the back do they roll off? It would seem like they would since they where round. They just seem like they wouldn't really hold tight enough and you risk the chance of loosing a fin. Any experience with that?

Also, as for the different types of straps (I am NOT a do-it-yourself type person!) I would like to have a grip area with a handle. There where a few different types of connections for these.

The wire (looking) type:

EZ Spring Grip-Tight Fin Strap, Black from LeisurePro.com

And the buckle type:

Innovative Scuba Stainless Steel Spring Fin Straps

Now the buckle is plastic, that, in my mind, is a very bad idea! Plastic is easily broken. Is this true with these types of straps?

As for the wire looking type, it looks like the wire would be easily removed or broken. The set up just doesn't look very strong to me. Any experience with these??

Or if anyone has any other suggestions as what type of straps or where to get them from, suggestions always welcomed. :)

The "wire type" you describe is quite strong. I have had them on my Jet fins for over a year. They're not going anywhere. Do avoid the plastic ones, however, for the reasons you already figured out.

If you have Jetfins (the only fins the springs in the first link work on), I highly recommend the EZ Spring straps in your first link, although I would buy them from DiveSports.com instead, since Phil is a nice guy and LeisurePro is evil. :)

Bill--

I don't understand how that could happen. the metal plate, like the plastic buckle, has a keyhole-shaped opening that pops onto the mushroom. If the plastic buckle won't come off (without significant force, even when not under tension), then neither should the metal plate.

--Marek

Just to clarify.
The issue with the plate coming off is not that the mushroom head slips through
the smaller keyhole opening.When the plate is not under tension and
the fin bounces around a bit while the fin is being held by the strap, the the plate
can slip forward and allow the mushroom head to slip out of the bigger hole.

This can't occur with the plastic buckle version.
The difference is that the plastic buckle is really composed of 2 pieces that form
a quick release clip. One piece slips over the mushroom using the same keyhole
mechanism as the metal plate, and one that holds the spring and is the male portion
of the quick release clip.

If you look closely at the 2 portions of the plastic clip you will notice that when the male
portion of the quick release is plugged into the female portion of the clip that the
male portion of the clip covers up the larger opening of the keyhole and slides
right up to the mushroom. The mushroom is now trapped/latched. The plastic piece
with the keyhole opening cannot move or slide forward like the metal plate can.

This is the difference.

For a true bullet proof setup, you need shackles like WaywardSon has or
something that bolts on like the Apollo C-Series spring straps.

--- bill

the mushroom head slips through the smaller keyhole opening.
--- bill

:rofl3: LMAO! Ummm, My appologies, that caught my eye.

Okay, back to the subject......It seems that the buckle type would be best. It seems more secure, that would really suck if you lost a fin(swimming in circles anyone?)

I'm thinking about getting some spring straps though, my calves almost always cramp up when I don/doff my fins.

I have also been looking into buying spring straps......but I have very small narrow feet especially my heel...I have a pair of Atomic Split Fins and I wear thick booties to help fill the fin....I checked out the links posted here and looks like the Innovative Scuba spring straps for the Atomic Fins may work...in the link it appears that the spring strap is actually installed on the exsisting buckles is this correct and is this difficult to do??

I am worried since my heel is narrow that the strap will roll off the back of my bootie while diving....I did try a pair of Appollo Bio Fins w/spring straps before I bought my Atomic Fins and it just felt like they would come off in heavy current even though the felt tight....

I will not EVER use the clip-on spring straps again. I had several problems with them popping off. I lost a AL Blade II on a night dive in a heavy current in Cancun. I imagine it probably wasted up in Cuba. I had to borrow fins for two days to finish diving. I've also have had them come loose in the quarry.

I recommend the spring straps from Wayward as well. Well built and reasonably priced.

I have also been looking into buying spring straps......but I have very small narrow feet especially my heel...I have a pair of Atomic Split Fins and I wear thick booties to help fill the fin....I checked out the links posted here and looks like the Innovative Scuba spring straps for the Atomic Fins may work...in the link it appears that the spring strap is actually installed on the exsisting buckles is this correct and is this difficult to do??

I am worried since my heel is narrow that the strap will roll off the back of my bootie while diving....I did try a pair of Appollo Bio Fins w/spring straps before I bought my Atomic Fins and it just felt like they would come off in heavy current even though the felt tight....

Avoid the plastic buckles. Get the all-metal kinds. But be aware that some need some way to ensuring they stay on. For Atomics, I'd probably look at the XS Scuba straps.

If the spring straps are sized right, anything strong enough to rip them off your feet is also going to rip your mask off your face, so you'll have other problems. It's a non-issue with properly sized straps (and fins, I suppose).

I really like my Innovative Scuba Spring Straps for recreational divers. Breaking a rubber strap is rare, but it happened to me one time, and it took a long time on a badly rocking boat, in full gear to thread my backup strap from my save-a-dive kit. Make sure you measure according to the manufacturer's recommendations and get the right size the first time. Different fins usually require different spring straps, so you can't always rotate the spring straps among all of your sets of fins.

I will not EVER use the clip-on spring straps again. I had several problems with them popping off. I lost a AL Blade II on a night dive in a heavy current in Cancun. I imagine it probably wasted up in Cuba. I had to borrow fins for two days to finish diving. I've also have had them come loose in the quarry.

I recommend the spring straps from Wayward as well. Well built and reasonably priced.

You know, going against the grain as usual and still hoping for success. Per the pictures I posted and a previous failure with another set (different brand) and having never in several decades had a failure of a rubber strap and given the lower cost of a a spare rubber strap I have to say that spring straps--may--may--be a solution to a non problem just because it looks all cool and techie. I am still reserving judgement but so far I am not sold on spring straps.

N

Springs are NOT infallible. I know of at least 2 failures posted on this site plus a 3rd involving a friend. He lost the fin & does not know if the spring broke or the mount failed (Apollo Bio).

I have personally had rubber straps break during a dive. It's a PITA, but can be avoided & easily & cheaply fixed.

Having used springs for a few years now, I recently used factory straps on a new pair of Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins. Drove me to aggravation & it takes my wife 3 times as long to put her fins on & take them off as it does me with springs. I need to make her a set for those fins before her next dive.

It comes down to personal preference. I'll only use regular straps if I have to, new fins get springs as fast as I can make a set for them now.

Springs aren't infallible, but they don't break as often as rubber straps.

The big advantage is ease and speed of donning and doffing. HUGE help when you're getting into a pitching boat or trying to get them on fast in the surf zone during shore entries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom