Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeMEed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this has been discussed on this forum many times before (I did a search), but I just had to ask you guys something.

I've been looking at purchasing a set of spring straps for my fins to make it easier to get them on and off. I've been reading post after post about how great these are and how much easier they are to put on and off.

My question is with the type that is only bungee in the back do they roll off? It would seem like they would since they where round. They just seem like they wouldn't really hold tight enough and you risk the chance of loosing a fin. Any experience with that?

Also, as for the different types of straps (I am NOT a do-it-yourself type person!) I would like to have a grip area with a handle. There where a few different types of connections for these.

The wire (looking) type:

EZ Spring Grip-Tight Fin Strap, Black from LeisurePro.com

And the buckle type:

Innovative Scuba Stainless Steel Spring Fin Straps

Now the buckle is plastic, that, in my mind, is a very bad idea! Plastic is easily broken. Is this true with these types of straps?

As for the wire looking type, it looks like the wire would be easily removed or broken. The set up just doesn't look very strong to me. Any experience with these??

Or if anyone has any other suggestions as what type of straps or where to get them from, suggestions always welcomed. :)

As I'm sure you're aware, both of your links refer to different types of spring straps manufactured by the same folks -- the company is called Innovative.

What brand/type of fins you have -- that is, how the existing straps are attached -- will decide what type of strap mounting you can even use. See the "Also Available" links on the divesports.com page you linked to.

I've got a bit of experience with the Innovative spring straps with the plastic buckles, after using them this summer for the first time.

I use them on Mares Avanti X3's, and the buckle swivel is a straight swap for the existing Mares swivel. I'm extremely happy with the straps. Yeah, I've considered a buckle breaking, but I feel it's an acceptable risk -- and I take spare buckles on trips.

In turn, my silly worry would be that on the stainless-steel type, the metal swivel would cut through the fin's hard plastic mounting pin. Though folks use them all the time without problem.

I'll also be mounting a set of Jet Fin-type Innovative spring straps to my son's Jet Fin-type fins. If that's the type of fin you have, the "wires" or "pins" are actually the same gauge (about 1/8"?) as what's on the original fin... it takes a lot of strength indeed to bend them, and I doubt they'll come off.

I do like the rubber grips; I can put on or take off each fin with a quick grab... which is important as the years go by; and we get, um, less lithe. :D

But even without the rubber, the springs would stay on because of the shape of your heel and your boot sole. (OBTW, the only time I've seen a bungie cord used alone is when someone uses it as an easy DIY method; it does seem to work. But all the spring straps on the market use heavy-duty stainless-steel springs... hence the name. Some of them have a bungie cord threaded inside each spring as a back-up in case the spring should break. The Innovative ones don't have the bungie.)

--Marek

As I'm sure you're aware, both of your links refer to different types of spring straps manufactured by the same folks -- the company is called Innovative.

What brand/type of fins you have -- that is, how the existing straps are attached -- will decide what type of strap mounting you can even use. See the "Also Available" links on the divesports.com page you linked to.

I've got a bit of experience with the Innovative spring straps with the plastic buckles, after using them this summer for the first time.

I use them on Mares Avanti X3's, and the buckle swivel is a straight swap for the existing Mares swivel. I'm extremely happy with the straps. Yeah, I've considered a buckle breaking, but I feel it's an acceptable risk -- and I take spare buckles on trips.

In turn, my silly worry would be that on the stainless-steel type, the metal swivel would cut through the fin's hard plastic mounting pin. Though folks use them all the time without problem.

I'll also be mounting a set of Jet Fin-type Innovative spring straps to my son's Jet Fin-type fins. If that's the type of fin you have, the "wires" or "pins" are actually the same gauge (about 1/8"?) as what's on the original fin... it takes a lot of strength indeed to bend them, and I doubt they'll come off.

I do like the rubber grips; I can put on or take off each fin with a quick grab... which is important as the years go by; and we get, um, less lithe. :D

But even without the rubber, the springs would stay on because of the shape of your heel and your boot sole. (OBTW, the only time I've seen a bungie cord used alone is when someone uses it as an easy DIY method; it does seem to work. But all the spring straps on the market use heavy-duty stainless-steel springs... hence the name. Some of them have a bungie cord threaded inside each spring as a back-up in case the spring should break. The Innovative ones don't have the bungie.)

--Marek

Yea, I knew they where the same company just different attachment types to the fins. I have the Jet Fin-type Fins so seems the pin type is best.

I have fins with the mushroom type pin holder.
I intentionally picked the version with the plastic buckles. The reason being
that I too was concerned about the metal plate cutting the mushroom off.
While I've never heard of this being an issue, with the all metal or "pro" version of
the spring straps there is the possibility that the plate will come off the mushroom
pin when not under tension such as when a fin holder is used or when hanging on
to the fin strap when exiting the water in waves or surge.
This slipping/falling off doesn't happen with the plastic buckle version.

See these two posts for further discussion of this:
Which Spring Strap?
ScubaToys Forum: Spring Straps Anyone?

So if you have the fins with the mushroom holder, the plastic buckles increases
the failure probability through breakage, and the metal plate increases the failure
probability though falling off.
The only way to avoid this would be to go with some straps like this:
Apollo C-Series Fin Strap
When using these you cut off the mushroom and drill holes and bolt them on using plates.
These will not break or come loose/off.

As a single data point on the Innovative plastic buckle ones, I have about 2.5 years,
8 dive trips, and 170+ dives on mine and they are still working just fine.

I will add that once having used the spring straps, it was pretty clear I will
never have the desire to go back to the original non spring straps.
So if you were considering going down the Apollo C-Series fin strap route and
worried that its a permanent modification and you might not like them,
Don't. You will like them.

--- bill

I've used those on my ScubaPro split fins for about 20 dives now. I like the straps a lot - much much easier to get on and off. As someone else said, the clips on the strap are a direct replacement for the clips on the original straps, so you just unclip the old ones and snap in the new ones. I now carry the old straps with me in case something gets broken.

Nathan

That's not the only way. I make them to use stainless steel anchor shackles. No need to modify your fins & shackles will not cut the pin off.

Wayward Son, do you have pics of what you're talking about? What are your prices?

Wayward Son has a very good solution to all manner of fins. We can recommend him since we have many satisfied divers with our fins who have custom straps from WS.

with the all metal or "pro" version of
the spring straps there is the possibility that the plate will come off the mushroom
pin when not under tension such as when a fin holder is used or when hanging on
to the fin strap when exiting the water in waves or surge.
Bill--

I don't understand how that could happen. the metal plate, like the plastic buckle, has a keyhole-shaped opening that pops onto the mushroom. If the plastic buckle won't come off (without significant force, even when not under tension), then neither should the metal plate.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom