Spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok guy's I put spring straps on my Genesis response fins(my favorites) and used them in the pool yesterday. The ones I have are manta brand and are just a stainless spring with a piece of vinyl tube over it. I love the ease of putting the fins on and they are real comfortable. They fit perfectly in the groove in my instadry booties but my questions are : Do they belong in that groove? With standard fin straps I position the strap much higher on the heel past the sole and cinch them down. I shook the fins every which way in the water but I could not shake them off,however just a little push from my other heel and they popped right off. The springs only require a little stretching to slip on and I am wondering if I need the next smaller spring? If I dont position the spring in the heel groove it really has very little tension on it. Also with no loop to grab will I be able to remove them easily enough if the spring is tight while hanging on to a drift line at a boat with a fins off ladder?? (I am flexibly challenged:D )? Help guy's

The right sized springs can make all the difference in the world. I also have Genesis Response. I had to get springs because I had problems with the traditional strap buckles popping off & at 85' that's no fun. I don't have the insta- dry wet suits or booties, so I'm not familiar with how any groves work, can't help you there. For my wet suit booties I use small fins with small springs I like a snug fit & these fit the bill. With my dry suit rock boots I have to use large fins with medium springs. I tried small springs, but you had to pull for all you're worth to get them on/ off, or I'd have to get someone to help me get those fins on (embarrassing). The large springs just seemed to slide off a little too easy in my opinion & with the problems I've had in the past, I'd rather have to pull a little extra than to have to go after a loose fin again. Hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks t-storm, I don't know if the grooves are just for looks and part of the style of the bootie or serve a purpose. Like maybe a flex point in the sole, some sneakers and shoes have a similar "groove". But the spring fits right in. I use size large but it is because I have a wide foot and I belive I ordered small springs but I have to ck. If so they also have x-small. How about the springs with the finger loops vs the plain spring w/tubing???? Any opinions out there?

The fingerloops do help with pulling the springs on/ off. Most of the loops are even big enough to use with gloves on. It allows you to hook a finger through for a little more leverage. I'm not real flexible in a 7mm wet suit or my dry suit, when it as a bit of squeeze. I can't say I've ever heard of x- small springs, but that doesn't mean that they aren't available. Something else you may want to look at..... I've seen where there are some members of the board that make custom springs. Just do a search on spring straps & read trough the threads, you should be able to find these members through that method. As for the grooves in your booties, hey, if they work, use them to your advantage. I don't see where it would be a problem. The big thing is you don't want the springs to slide off super easy, but not so tight that they're a PITA to get off either.

My husband loves his spring straps with the pull loops. He likes them for the easy of removal, and also because the rubber covering the springs is broad and flat and diffuses the pressure.

I have the simple ones, and I've not found any problem hooking an index finger under the strap where it meets the fin to pull the fins off. I have had problems with pressure soreness on my heel when using my Jets with my Chuck Taylors, diving wet, but I solved it by putting a stop on the shoe to hold the spring off my heel bone.

You want enough pressure to keep the fins on, but not so much that you make your heels sore.

Many boots have a groove or the sole runs up on the heel to form a ridge. These grooves and ridges are for helping to keep the strap from sliding off. If it works use it! As for how loose do they have to be it sounds like you are on the border there. If normal kicking, flexing, and shaking do not dislodge the strap then you should be good to go. As for being able to get them off with the other heel that may or may not be a problem. If you want to check for the proper length put the fin on with out the strap. Position it to where it is comfortable and you feel it should be on your foot. Then take a tape measure or even a piece of string that you can measure (if your tape is metal) and go from the center of the one post to the center of the other. The strap should be slightly smaller (maybe 1/2- 1 inch or so). If it's the same or larger then a smaller strap may be in order. As for custom straps WaywardSon here on the board makes them for what I consider a reasonable price. If you go that route you can always ebay the others or post em on here.
BTW I use the ones with the rubber pads and loops from innovative scuba. Your lds should be able to get them. Trident also makes them but the loops are too small for my dry gloves.

If you can't shake them off then they are probably tight enough. The straps don't come in a large number of sizes so the next smaller size may be too tight. If you want to tighten them up a bit, move to a thicker bootie, say from a 3mm to a 5mm. I think many newer divers tend to wear their fins too tight.

The loopie thing will be scorned by the DIR crowd but if it helps you, don't worry about it. After awhile you'll get used to removing them without the loop.

Something that has worked for me is to put a thicker flexible hose on the spring. It really makes a huge difference in comfort.

I'm never "in the groove" so can't commend there, but do find my spring straps need a zip tie on each post that loops around the post and through the strap's "eye" to keep them on the posts. Otherwise they come off, and I supposedly have the ones made for my Apollo Bio-fins and the right size. With the zip ties on them, they are wonderful!

drbill:
I'm never "in the groove" so can't commend there, but do find my spring straps need a zip tie on each post that loops around the post and through the strap's "eye" to keep them on the posts. Otherwise they come off, and I supposedly have the ones made for my Apollo Bio-fins and the right size. With the zip ties on them, they are wonderful!

This is a common problem with the type that slide onto posts and I've noticed some newer straps come with a rubber grommet to put on each post to add tension and prevent the straps end (probably a technical term for it) from sliding up on the post. Another solution I like better than the tie wraps is to use an O-ring, once you figure out the right size and how to loop it around. Took me awhile.

Back
Top Bottom