Spring Straps - Should I want them for Atomics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wow. This board is great. Everyday I learn something. Like just recently I've gotten interested in retrofitted spring straps for fins (I'm very new to SCUBA and am still in the getting excited about everything including future equipment purchases stage [although I suspect that that stage necer ends]). Anyhow, now I know about these straps but am not sure I need them. I suspect I don't. I have Atomic Split fins which I have been told have a somewhat advanced strap mechanism. Indeed, I am unaware of any problems that I need to solve. But for reasons that I am not altogether clear about, many fin owners do get excited about retrofitting spring straps onto their fins. Would this be a pointless endeavor with the Atomics?

Thanks a bunch,
Dave

Well...I wouldn't say it's necessary to go with spring straps but they make it much easier to get in and out of your fins and they are less likely to break than rubber straps and plastic buckles. I made homemade ones for my Mares fins and they are great!:)

"Do I really need Atomic split fins for my spring straps?

For precision control & finning efficiency I prefer to use blade fins with my spring straps. Specifically Turtles though SP Jet fins work great if your foot is small enough for the foot pocket.

BTW... every time we go to the local hole I see divers with new and improved straps trying to get into their fins... whilst we put ours on with greater ease than slipping into... well.... slippers. :D

Spring straps are the sweeeeeet.

Does anyone really need spring straps?
Disregarding DIR requirements,
If you carry a spair set of fin straps in your save a dive kit (you do have a save a dive kit, don't you?) then you can probably get along with out them. Fins straps usually break just when your donning your fins, not during a dive, so you can replace one and get on with the dive.

BUT : If you're fed up with replacing broken straps ( I was), they break just when you're ready to jump into the water (fins and gloves are just about the last thing I donn). I replaced 3 in the last year. Now you have to dig out your kit (if you didn't leave it back on the dock of course) find the strap, thread it through the buckles.....

I installed spring straps for this reason.
Given that I have replacement straps and buckles, don I need spring straps.... Probably NOT!

Do I want spring straps, do I have spring straps? : WELL YES!

nuff said

Mike D
:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom